1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router Setup Desperation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EzekielWithAHat, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EzekielWithAHat

EzekielWithAHat Thread Starter

I hate resorting to having to make my own post, but I've scoured everything I can trying to find relevant help and have found nothing that has helped... so here goes.

I'm running Vista 32bit.

I'm attempting to hookup Optimum Online internet to a Linksys WRT54G v5. The internet works fine when the Scientific Atlanta DPX2203 modem alone, but when I properly hook up the router, cycle, the usual I cannot for the life of me get the internet to route. The internet light remains blinking, and the Cisco Systems remains orange... I've made sure MAC cloning is taking place, and tried a dozen other things that were probably stupid, and just can't figure out what else I can do. I've updated the firmware. I can get the DHCP to assign an IP address and all... the only strange thing I've noticed is that despite all clearing and resetting DNS and whatnot, the connection-specific DNS suffix is hsd1.ma.comcast.net... I used comcast internet in MA before moving to NY and using OOL.... is the router holding onto this? Windows reports inability to connect to DNS servers, and that can mean a lot of things, but this seemed relevant...

Can anyone help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My suspicion is that both routers are using the same LAN subnet. Please show the following for a connection to the DPX2203 and another for a connection to the WRT54G.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. EzekielWithAHat

EzekielWithAHat Thread Starter

Aha. The router was holding onto the DNS suffix, and likely some other settings I don't recall setting up. Turns out I wasn't holding down the factory reset button long enough on my resets... And sometimes the simplest solution is the one. I'm sorry for wasting your time, and so much of my own... Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice