1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router useful life

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pedroguy, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pedroguy

pedroguy Thread Starter

I have a linksys wrt54g and am real happy with it.My question is this::
    Today on a radio tech show,the techie said that because typically a router is on 24/7,one should not expect it to last more than 24 months.I do not have an on/off switch so would have to unplug if I really wanted to turn it off at night.
    What is your collective wisdom on this?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My belief is that routers, modems, computers and other electronic devices will last more calendar days, and probably more in-use hours, if they are powered off when not being used for a significant period (say, 10 hours).

My wisdom is that a power strip with a switch makes it very convenient to power off whatever you plug into it. And if the power strip has surge protection, that's even better for the potential life of your equipment.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

4 years on a bfsr41 linksys hardwired router with original firmware.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy Thread Starter

Thanks both for the info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice