1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: router with desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Honey2aB, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Hi there

My daughter just hooked up her wireless D-Link router for her new laptop. As a consequence now I can not use my desktop which is an old Dell Dimension 4300. She tells me too bad so sad. LOL

How on earth do I get my desktop working again. This is turning into a giant pain in the butt, as she does not want anyone using her laptop...seeing as SHE bought it with her own money...SO....it is hers...aaaaahhhh. I told her that i would just unplug the router so that I could use my computer. Can I unplug the router safely and replug in the internet cord for mine without losing any kind of info. I dunno this is a first time situation for us here so we dont know. OR can something be done so both of our computers can be used at the same time.

Thanx a bunch.

Honey

2. schang626

schang626

how do you connect to the internet? wireless or wired?

3. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

well the new router is wireless.

4. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

oh and the old desktop is basically hooked up the same way everyones is...i guess

5. schang626

schang626

can you connect your desktop to the router with a cable?

6. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Before I answer that, i think i should mention that the desktop is at one end of the house, and the router is sitting here in the living room hooked up to the modem for the tv......at the other end of the house

7. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

just a thought...seeing as i seriously dont know...can the wireless router here be somehow plugged into the old modem for the desktop, and they somehow work together

8. schang626

schang626

if the wireless router is not already plugged into the modem, where does it connect to?

9. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

it IS plugged into a modem...just not the one for the desktop. The desktop has that big tower sitting beside it, and we got a new modem for our tv. we switched cable companies and they came and gave us a new modem to use, and of course its sitting right here beside the tv, and the wireless router is plugged into that one.

10. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

im thinking this is going to turn into something way beyond what im able to understand....yikes

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have your darling daughter bring her laptop near your desktop and make sure that she still gets a strong wireless signal from various positions near and on each side of your desktop.

If she does get a decent signal, then the easiest solution for you is to get a wireless adapter for your machine. In anticipation of future conversation, what operating system do you have, and do you know if you have a spare PCI slot in the machine?

12. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

operating system is windows xp....and where would i look for a pci slot....yes i'm slow...never had to look for this :O

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you got, and still have, an Owner's Manual with your Dell the information is probably in there. Otherwise, pages 60 through about 73 of your Solutions Guide is a good read. Page 61 shows the back of your unit, and the PC in that picture appears to have one spare PCI slot (3rd from bottom). Pages 68 through 71 are what you'll need if you eventually decide to add a PCI wireless card. The process is not as complicated as it looks. Those Dell guides make it very easy.

14. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

okay..got out my solutions guide and am looking at page 61. would the thing that you are talking about be that one that looks like a phone jack plug in?? it's sitting there all by itself? okay, what on earth is a wireless adapter and what does it have to do with that lonely phone jacky plug in??

I know, i know......slow

15. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

forgot to ask..what do u mean by getting a signal for the laptop by the desktop....i'm sitting right in front of the desktop typing this, as we speak. is the router supposed to be unplugged or something while i'm doing this or something?? also forgot to ask...can that blasted router be unplugged while she is not here and replug in the internet cord that i used for my desktop to work before....and then replug the router cord later?? will any kind of information be lost if i do this? i told her i should just unplug when she is gone and she said no way, it will cause a problem with the router. I dunno. I just know that when she got it she had to phone the customer service for the thing and they gave her a ton of instructions to get the blasted thing going. with me unplugging and replugging would that do anything??

Told ya, i'm slow. Never mind slow....just totally new to this router thing and how it has caused a problem for me with my desktop. aaccckkk i miss my mouse..boo hoo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice