1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router Works/No Router Fails

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jp1203, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

I have two computers in one room, I tried everything to connect them between NICs, but I got nothing. I just placed a routerin the room and plugged them in and they worked instantly. Does anyone know why this is?
    Joe

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    most likely you were using the wrong cable. To connect a PC to another PC you will need a Cross-over cable. PC to Router needs a Straight Through.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    PS I would remove your email address if i were you. There are lots of bots scouring forums to find email addresses to spam to.

4. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will remove my E-mail address. Also, I bought all of the cables I use by bulk a while ago. I ordered Crossovers. Unless they were incorrectly packaged or something.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    if you are using the same cables in your router then you wouldn't have connectivity. I believe you have straight-throughs. Easy check, hold both ends of the same cable with the clip facing away from you. Look at the colors, they both should be identical to each other. (norm is White Orange / Orange / White Green / Blue / White Blue / Green / White Brown / Brown).

6. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

i think you're right

they go:

purple, white, green, white, blue, white, orange, white on both sides

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    purple?? that's wierd...

well the company sent you the wrong cables :) That's why you couldn't connect the two PCs directly.

I made that same mistake... and i'm in networking! lol

But trust me, a router will simplify your networking. Especially if you get broadband internet (if you don't have it yet)

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    remember, connecting two of the same device (PC - PC) then you need a cross over. PC - something else then it's a Straight through. There is another cable, Console (or rollover) which is used to remotely connect to a device, like a Switch or Router (not your home brand ones). You won't be needing that, unless you are in the IT dept. :)

9. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Yeah, it's like a lavender color. I love the router! I got it marked down to 5$ from 60 at Staples. I am getting a wireless PCI card for one of my Desktops soon, too. I would have broadband if I could get it! In Peru we can't get DSL or anything. No Cable internet/TV. Cell Phones don't even work! We have a population of about 800 on a mountain in Massachusetts. Very strange place, so strange that I made a web site about it!!

Thanks for your help,

J.S.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) anytime. Have you considered satellite?

11. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

I have Satellite TV, but people have discouraged me from getting Satellite Internet, saying that it gets expensive with all of the equipment. I know some who have it and say that, for some reason it's down a lot and can get extremely slow when a storm rolls in.

J.S.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    not too sure why it would be slow... maybe it's the equipment they have. I think there are different ones to get. I don't know teh prices off hand so. but usually it's a little expensive, but speeds should be fast

13. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

I'll probably wait until cable comes. They are putting up cell towers in the next year or so. Maybe Peru will get it then.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Maybe Peru will be the next up and coming town :)

15. networkfixer

networkfixer

satellite is very expensive for the speed it provides. I would wait it out if there is another option coming soon

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice