1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Rows to Columns Issue

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by robpopper, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

I am really new to Excel (2003) and have read several similar posts to mine below; but cannot adapt the existing programming to accomplish the task. I wish to convert a data in “Book A” to appear like that of “Book B”
    This will be an almost daily repetitive task. Please refer to the attachment. Thanks for looking. Any thoughts on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

System information:System Board: ECS K7S5A Chipset: SiS 735
    CPU: AMD @ 1200 MHz
    System Memory: 4x1024MB (DDR SDRAM)
    Bios: AMI (11/21/01)
    Video: onboard
    Audio: Creative SB Live!
    Op System: Win XP - Pro SP3 with all updates

Attached Files:

• XL1.jpg
      XL1.jpg
      File size:
      197.5 KB
      Views:
  2. XCubed

XCubed

Hi

It seems to me that the Pivot Table function is ideally suited to your need. Attached is an example (the "totals" row and column can be suppressed if needed). The advantage of the Pivot is that you can keep adding to your list and the Pivot will automatically keep up with the changes.

Give it a try and come back with any questions if you run into problems.

Attached Files:

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello there!

As XCubed states, you want a PivotTable, but your data (Book A) isn't completely structured for it. You don't want any blank rows. Other than that you should be golden. Take a look at some of these links to give you an idea of how to use PivotTables, and how awesome they are...

http://contextures.com/CreatePivotTable.html (Excel 2007)
    http://contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
    http://contextures.com/tiptech.html#Go_P (pretty much the definitive list of PivotTable info)

Just a side note, one thing to be aware of is they don't automatically refresh, you have to do that manually. In the PivotTable options there is a setting to have them update every x minutes (defaults to 60). A good habit to get into is to right-click anywhere on the PivotTable and select Refresh. Just know the data doesn't show automatically. A PivotTable is connected to a data source - the pivot cache, your data, and keeps that in memory, much like a database connection.

4. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

Thanks all for the response and help. I'm working hard at understanding the issues and will post back after I learn a bit more. The main issue is that the data has to be downloaded on a daily basis and that it comes with blank columns which I manually delete. Perhaps this might be better suited to VBA code. I don't know but will continue to unravel. Thanks again.

5. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

I worked with the Pivot Table and finally got it going. (I think!) I didn't realize that the change from rows to columns had to be in the same workbook. Duh! Thanks for the terrific support.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice