1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RPC Server Unavailable!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by parman, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parman

parman Thread Starter

My daughters computer is losing the internet connection after 10 o15 minutes online. A message will appear:
    brand____product version Error Connection to service failed. Please reinstall brand product version.
    I've tried doing a network connection repair by typing in the command prompt: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and that's when I get RPC Server Unavailable.
    Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless PCI adapter wg311v3
    Belkin G router
    Dell Dimension 4600
    Win XP Home
    80 gb HDD
    1.25 Memory
    2.40CPU
    I've gone in Services but have not found RPC Server. I've seen RPC Locator. I've checked the properties of that and the dependecies and re-started this program.
    The router and modem is just on the other side of wall from where the computer is, about 15 ft.
    One other thing, the cmos batteryl must be needing changed because the time has been showing 2004. I change the date and time back but within a week, it's back to 2004 again.
    Any suggestions!

2. parman

parman Thread Starter

Bump!

3. parman

parman Thread Starter

Bump!

4. parman

parman Thread Starter

Bump!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suspect that nobody here has seen this problem before. Here is one article I found by a web search. Also found a Microsoft article, but it was for Windows 2000.

6. parman

parman Thread Starter

I will check this out when I go over to her house in a couple of days. Thanks TerryNet. I'll let you know how it works.

7. parman

parman Thread Starter

Terrynet, I looked up and the RPC is listed in the Services. It was started. I don't undrerstand but there will be internet for maybe 15 minutes and then you lose it. Any other ideas.

8. parman

parman Thread Starter

Could it be possibly be the distance between the desktop computer and the router? There is a wall between the router and the computer. The distance between router and computer is 15ft.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Has the CMOS battery been replaced? If not, how fast does the clock lose time? (I'm wondering if this could be a factor in the internet access problem.)

For when the connection is lost please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. The distance of 15 ft. is no issue, but the construction of the wall or existence of other networks could be.

Also for a good connection and for when it is lost please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

10. parman

parman Thread Starter

The cmos battery has not been changed. The computer was down all week. No one tried to log on. When I checked it yesterday, I was able to connect to internet. I was on for about 30 min. with no problems and then all of a sudden, lost internet. Box came up showing could not connect to server; try again. I tried again after about 2 minutes and had internet again. Stayed on for 25 min. with no problems. The time was correct in the notification area but when I checked the date and time box it showed august instead of nov. Last week it showed aug of 2004. I changed it back to the correct date and time and then left it. As I said, the time was correct yesterday but 3 weeks ago when I looked, it showed aug of 2004 and the time was not right.
    I will check with my daughter today and if they have no internet I will go over and follow your directions. Do you think I need to go ahead and change the cmos battery? Are all cmos batteries the same?

11. parman

parman Thread Starter

Computer seems to be working fine. Been working for the last 4 days. Only problem is the box that comes up showing Connection to service failed. Please reinstall _brand_ _product_ _version_. I believe it's talking about mozilla firefox because it only shows up in the firefox browser page. In Internet Explorer I don't get that box coming up.
    Time and Date is still okay after I changed it last week. The only thing I've really done is turn the desktop computer toward the wall where the router is. The router is on the other side of wall.
    Other than the computer running alittle slow, everything is okay.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!