1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RPC Server Unavailable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Koosharem, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koosharem

Koosharem Thread Starter

I got this error msg when I attempted to launch a full system backup using Acronis (True Image Home 2010). I "Googled it" and found this forum!! This very thread was posted back in Aug 08 by AbsentHarvest, and dealt with not being able to share files between his PC and a laptop. The "fix" was to look in the Services listing accessed via Start ->Run-> Services.msc, and confirm that Remote Procedure Call was "Started" and set to "Automatic Startup" (right-click and open Properties if not).

My Acronis problem was not solved at this point (because RPC, in my, case was on & running), but selecting the "Depencencies" tab at the top of the Properties Window showed that the "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" DID/DOES depend on RPC running.

This (now) obvious connection between RPC and the Acronis Scheduler2 Service (even though the actual error message was misleading) "turned on the light" for me: I remembered turning this Acronis service OFF a few weeks ago (via one of the Startup Mgr utilities), thinking it was involved with scheduling/running Acronis backups automatically. (I thought I had perhaps selected this option by mistake during the Acronis setup procedure.

So, it was all somewhat "fortuitous", but turning Acronis Scheduler2 back ON/Automatic did solve my problem, and the backup ran successfully!!

Now, having said all this (and perhaps it will be useful to someone), this is my first post on this forum and I need to correct the spelling of my "User Name" -- it should be "Koosharem" -- but I cannot find the place to correct it!!! Any suggestions?

2. bp936

bp936

Welcome to TSG.
    looks like your name is already corrected.

And you are correct. Using Acronis for backup, I also forgot that I stopped it and had to click on it again in msconfig and the Timeout monitor monitor under the Startup tab.
    thanks for reminding us.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice