1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RTL8187 Wireless Adapter Repair

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CarolinaBill, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I have an intermittent recurring problem trying to repair a network connection using an RTL8187 USB Wireless adapter.
    My system is
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 30147 MB, Free - 7114 MB; D: Total - 1984 MB, Free - 1870 MB; E: Total - 11989 MB, Free - 8574 MB; F: Total - 15986 MB, Free - 4922 MB; G: Total - 19992 MB, Free - 17212 MB; K: Total - 26288 MB, Free - 20156 MB; T: Total - 18088 MB, Free - 1249 MB; U: Total - 31987 MB, Free - 31986 MB; V: Total - 255094 MB, Free - 255012 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7V600-X
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have two problems really. They may or may not be related. The first problem has started within the past couple of weeks. On a number of occasions when I click "Repair" to try and restore an internet connection, that operation freezes at the first step of disabling my adapter. The adapter does disconnect but then nothing more happens. I can do other tasks on the computer but none connected with that operation. A restart will always restore my normal connection. I have tried a System Restore to several weeks ago but I am unable to go back in time far enough to be effective. The program must be looking for some system response that never occurs whether this is from something in the registry or elsewhere I don't know. I have tried uninstalling the adapter and re-installing but that does not help. I have also tried going to Device Manager to disable, then re-enable the adapter, but it will not disable -- just sits there in a waiting state. Does anyone have any suggestion as to where in the system I might be having a problem.

My second problem is that on a number of occasions during this past time period, I abruptly lost connection with the internet which then triggers the effort to repair. Whether this has something to do with the adapter or with reception problems from my local wireless community access point is a question which I don't expect to pose here.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver from the wireless adapter's web site.

What wireless utility are you using? Are you sure that no other one is running?

If you change your mind ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. CarolinaBill

I have two network adapters, the RealTek RTL8187 wireless adapter and a Via Rhine II ethernet adapter. The latter is used to connect to a router and a home network. The former connects to the community RESNET network. I have attached two Xirrus shots, one from yesterday when I was experiencing an unusual very regular cycling of signal from the channel (#9) to which I was connected. Today the cycling is not as pronounced but is still there. I am trying to work with the local manager of the WiFi network as to a cause for this cycling. Both Xirrus shots show a signal from additional RESNET APs (Channel 8 and 10) which have insufficient strength for me to connect, but both show no evidence of cycling which makes me think that this is something experienced by the one AP only and not by the others and not due to something in my computer or household. I should add that channel 8 and channel 10 APs have a direct ethernet connection to the WiFi server. Channel 9 which I use, is a satellite AP which relays the signal from the server, so there could be some cycling interference either at the satellite site or at the point of relay transmission.

I have used the current driver set for my adapter for the past year with none of the current repair problems. What I am using now is a version one back from the latest (which dates to 2006) but it is not much older. It provided a couple features that were more convenient for me, so after using the latest edition for a while I went back to the newest one. Incidentally, I tried re-installing the latest edition within the past week to see if it made any difference, but it did not seem to.

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is "cycling"? The variance in the signal strength?

That variance is probably an AP defect, incorrect adapter driver or defective adapter.

5. CarolinaBill

Yes, my use of the word "cycling" referred to the very regular variation in signal strength with a cycle length of about 60 sec.

I just ran ipconfig /all and received results I have never seen before. The file is attached. I do not normally see any tunnel adapter statistics as would be typical for Windows 7, and I have never before seen any IP numbers with hex numbers. I should add that earlier I tried running ipconfig /release instead of "repair" and the computer sat and did nothing until I killed the command.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Nothing really unusual in the ipconfig except for the DNS servers and static IPv4 address on the ethernet along with ICS enabled. You appear to have IPv6 enabled on the ethernet and disabled on the wireless connection.

What are you trying to do with the ethernet connection? I'd disable ICS and disconnect the ethernet to see if that makes any difference.

7. CarolinaBill

I appear to have solved my problem but by a somewhat unusual route that other readers may not know about and would appreciate. My network adapter is labeled RealTek RTL8187 and has a network utility that came with it. I have used two different versions of this, one newer than the other but I was getting problems with both sets of drivers. As I examined the adapter hardware, I realized that the adapter itself was an Alfa ASUS036H model which was using RealTek softward to manage it. I don't know what the connection is between Alfa and RealTek. But to make matters short, I found a set of drivers on the Alfa website that were later than any I could find on the RealTek site and which provided choices for operating with Win XP (mine), Vista, and Windows 7. When I downloaded this, it was still a RealTek utility for setting and connecting with networks, but apparently the drivers for the adapter were different. Anyhow, I am now able to get much better network signal reception and most importantly I have been able to repair the connection if necessary.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice