1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Running 2 Routers in my Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cg_25, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cg_25

cg_25 Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up two routers in my home network so I can have more Ethernet jacks in my home network. My one router alone does not have enough ports to feed all my computers so I thought I would hook up my older router, but I'm not sure exactly how I need to do this.

My primary router, which is receiving the signal from my DSL modem is D-link DIR-615, which I hope to run in wireless N as well. The second router is a USR8054 which I hope to run in wireless G for legacy devices.

Here is generally what I am trying to achieve:

[​IMG]

Basically, the red lines represent the connection/router setting changes I need to make between the two routers. Since the routers are literally right next to one another, I can either wire them together or go wireless; whichever is easier. I've tried running an Ethernet cable from LAN port 4 of the D-link to LAN port 1 on the USR with mixed results; one one occasion I lost my wireless G signal, and on another several of my wired devices wouldn't connect. I also tried running a Ethernet cable from jack 4 on the D-link to the WAN input on the USR and successfully transmitted a wireless G signal from the USR, but could not get a wired connection from the USR.

I really have no idea what to do. Could someone tell me what I should be doing?!

2. thoffland

thoffland

3. cg_25

cg_25 Thread Starter

I'll see if anyone else has any ideas and try out what JohnWill suggested tomorrow morning.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use my posted solution, and a host of other people here have used it as well. It addresses exactly the issue you posted, and I don't know of a better solution if you don't have a router with a WAP configuration in the firmware.

5. cg_25

cg_25 Thread Starter

Hmmm, I'm a bit confused. You said:

Is the subnet my subnet mask? If so I get: 255.255.255.0
    and my DHCP range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199

So what should I use as my second routers IP?

6. JohnWill

No, the subnet of your primary router is 192.168.0.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. In this example, I'd configure the secondary router's base address to be 192.168.0.254 as a typical example.

7. cg_25

cg_25 Thread Starter

nvm, I got it and everything is working great!

My N netowrk is on channel 11, and my G network is on channel 6. I gave them different SSID's because my second router does not support spaces in the SSID.

Thanks for the help.

8. JohnWill

I recommend never putting spaces in stuff like network names or SSID's anyway, so I don't know if the routers support them! :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947313