Solved: Running Linux On A Server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BarraGT

A friend of mine has just had his own server built (as in the hardware), and we'd like to run Linux on it, as that's what we're both familiar with using.

I run a website at the moment on a Linux operating system, with CPanel.

So, if we have the bare server, how can I get Linux on it, and how can I get CPanel on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you absolutely want cpanel or are you willing to look at a different one? There is this: H-Sphere We have it now with our host and are getting ready to go it alone and are seriously considering it ourselves. I know we are going to use it for the free trial. I LOVE it and it is great. SO much nicer than cpanel.

Oh, and for further info, try looking here:
DSL/Cable Webserver
Hosting from home
And for your Linux, I suggest either this one:
Fedora
CentOS
Liz

look at the sticky posts in the Unix/Linux forum on how to get a linux distro on your machine. Most of the distros will probably have cPanel available in some time of package so you don't have to install it from scratch.

You can't run cPanel on any linux distro, you need to use a cPanel supported distro. Which OSes will work depends on the server architecture. You should also have your hard drive partitioned according to the cPanel instructions.
You can't just download a package and install it, you need to buy a license first, and your whole server setup will be configured around cPanel.
After you buy a license, the cPanel folks will install it for you at no cost.

BarraGT

Thankyou for the advice, everyone, and for the links! I've found what I needed! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online