1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Running Network Setup Wizard - affect on existing setup?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Yorkshire Guy, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy Thread Starter

Hi Guys & Gals,

I've been trying to get my Home XP(SP2) desktop talking to my XP(SP2) Laptop, using tips gleemed from the threads in this forum.

My desktop does not require a sign-on.
    My laptop is from work and requires sign-on to the work Domain.
    I have put my Desktop into a workgroup of the same name as the laptop domain.
    I have enabled file & print sharing, and added the laptop into my trusted Norton security zone on the Desktop.
    I have shared folders on both machines.

I can see the Workgroup from my Laptop but not the desktop within it.
    I can see the Domain from my Desktop but it times out if I try to drill further.
    I cannot see my shared printer (connected to the desktop) from the laptop.
    I can map from my laptop to desktop (shared folder), but not vice versa.

The only thing I haven't tried is to run the Network setup wizard on either the desktop or laptop.

Here's my question: if I run that wizard on my laptop, will it destroy my work network settings?

OR any other ideas what I should try to get each machine to see each other?

Thanks
    Hew

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

3. Yorkshire Guy

Thanks StumpedTechy,

That's why I haven't run the Wizard or changed anything on my Laptop (except sharing a folder).

The IP addrs come from my router, 192.168.1.2 & .3
    (Of course my Laptop has a different IP addr when connected at work 10.64....)

The Desktop Workgroup has the same name as the Laptop Domain.

Mapping from the Laptop to the Shared Folder on the Desktop enables me to share files, but I just cannot share the printer or see each machine in Network Neighborhood or Explorer.

I've followed all of Bob C's tips, but still no joy.
    There does seem to be a lot of Threads with the same issue!

Some people say you can't share certain models of printers, or some USB printers, but Bob's articles say that's not a problem.

Thanks
    Hew

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Your not going to be able to see anything in Network Neighborhood as far as I am aware. This is a kind of a Hack to get a domain and a workgroup to coexist Your domain PC is still looking for the Domain clients and your Workgroup PC is still looking for the Workgroup clients...

Usually its a never the twain shall meet scenario so you have to be inventive to get it all to work.

Are you trying to share your laptop printer or your PC printer? if its your PC printer on your Laptop try type in startr/run and type in \\PC computername and hit enter it should show you the box with all the shares AND have a printer in it if you right click you should be able to pick connect to.

5. Yorkshire Guy

Thanks again StumpedTechy,

I can't remember reading about your Network Neigbourhood warning, many thanks for that.

It's sharing my desktop printer that I want, my laptop only has has Network printers configured (at work).

I'll try your suggestion tonight, if I can connect to the shared printer via run \\desktop name, will it allow me to Add that printer ?

Thanks
    Hew

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

As long as you have it properly shared and open security wise for the other PC to connect in you should be set. Just remember you can't print to it from work :)

To be honest with you I NEVER use network neighborhood to know how it reacts with anything. I always just use the run command and do the \\computername its so much easier then drilling down about 10 GUI screens.

7. Yorkshire Guy

Hi StumpedTechy,

I'm at home and I have tried the Run \\DesktopName but it gives me a pop up window saying 'The network path was not found'.

I can Ping but no joy otherwise.
    Any other suggestions please?

Thanks

Hew

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You said your Desktop does have shared files that your laptop reaches?

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Since you can ping by IP try using IP to connect - I.E> \\192.168.1.3 or whatever.

10. Yorkshire Guy

Hi StumpedTechy,

Thanks you so much.

\\desktop's-IP-address did the trick, as you said it came up with a window with my shared folder and printer available.

I was able to selct the desktop printer from the laptop and print to it.

I didn't have to add the printer to the laptop though which is what I was expecting to have to do.

It's a bit slow but working, great.

Thanks again.

Hew

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah when you do a ocnnection like that it loads the base drivers over the connection and you odn't have to load anyhting locally. Gald to hear its working.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!