1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Runonce has performed an illegal error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by skystone, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skystone

skystone Thread Starter

Hello,

I am running Win98 on my computer, when I start my computer everything seems to be loading fine until I reach the desktop. Once I get to this point an error message appears it read "Runonce has performed an illegal operation" I click on the close button and then my screen freezes. I can see all the icons on the desktop but I can't click on anything. When I hit "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" nothing happens.

Thank you for your help!

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Restart the PC and keep tapping the F8 key during the bootup. You want to start tapping the F8 key just when you see the drives recognized on the screen but prior to the Windows splash screen appearing. A menu with 6 options should appear. Take option 6, "SafeMode, Command Prompt Only". Once you have a C: prompt type in the following and press enter.

scanreg /restore

Now use the up/down arrow keys to choose a registry dated prior to or the day that error first starting occuring. Don't select any that seem to be very far back in time. You want the most recent one dated the same day that error first started to occur or the day prior to the error first occuring. Once it's highlighted, press Enter and follow the prompts to restore it.

Let us know what happens.

3. skystone

skystone Thread Starter

Hello,

I ran scanreg/restore and picked the earliest registry it would allow, I restarted my computer and the same error message appeared: "Runonce has performed an illegal operation".

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Go back and do the F8 tapping to get to the Startup Menu. Then take option 3, SafeMode. Let us know if you can get into SafeMode. If you can get into SafeMode, myself or someone else will lead you through removing the RunOnce entry in the Registry using Regedit or Msconfig. I'm not sure if it's an actual program called RunOnce causing the error or if it's an entry in the RunOnce key of the registry. It sonds like a program called RunOnce but I can't really be 100 percent sure. Anyway, the first step is to see if you can get into SafeMode and get access to the PC.

Let us know what happens.

BTW, do you have any idea what was done on the PC prior to this error starting to occur?

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Runonce.exe in Windows\system. Try extracting a fresh copy.

6. skystone

skystone Thread Starter

Hello,

I tried opening in safe mode again and I choose option 6, I must have done something wrong the first time I tried this, because when I tried it again it worked!

Thank you all very much for your help!

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your welcome but are you able to boot Windows into Normal mode now, too? If so, what did you do to get it going?

8. skystone

skystone Thread Starter

Hi,

Yes, I am able to boot in Normal mode now, when I first tried it and restarted my computer the error message still came up. I shut off the computer and restarted it and then I followed your directions again, when I restarted it in normal mode it started fine and the error message did not appear?

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your ok now. Have a nice weekend.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice