1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: runtime error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jim2372, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim2372

Jim2372 Thread Starter

Get runtime errors like "line 139 - object expected" OR when clicking on Comcast to open fan or whatever, runtime error 1146 "windows.document.coverflash is null or not an object".
    When asked if I want to debug, say yes but have no idea what I am looking at. Foxfire does not do this. Shutdown Google toolbar or someone's advice - no help. Reinstalled IE 7 from MS website (but did not first remove current IE 7 because add/remove gave me all kinds of threats that a whole bunch of stuff wouldn't work anymore. Frustrated.
    Jim

2. Augie65

Augie65

I don't use IE7, but the setting may be the same.
    Tools> Internet Options> Advanced tab, if
    Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer) is unchecked, check it.

3. Jim2372

Jim2372 Thread Starter

That was almost too easy - it worked! BUT when I loaded Comcast again, it gave me a message that wasn't to debug a runtime error but that (can quite remember), there was a possibility this page "may not display properly". I clicked the "don't show this again" option and will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks so very much.

4. bbearren

bbearren

You're fine. That "may not display properly" is telling you that there is a script error on the page IE is loading. You did the right thing to check "Don't show this again".

That's why it's a good idea to turn off the script debugger, because there are millions of pages with script errors. It's a useful tool if you're designing a web site and want to check it for errors. Just enable the script debugger again, and open your own pages. But for general browsing, leave it off.

5. Augie65

Augie65

Jim2372,
    You are very welcome.:)

bbearren,
    If you can remember Brother Dave Gardner, you have to be as old as me.:D

6. bbearren

bbearren

Pretty close, I reckon ;D

7. Jim2372

Jim2372 Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice