1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: S.E.O... - Shouldnt this be the Site Builders Job?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by paulb100, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Search Engine Optimization

now im not having digs at any SEO's that may peruse my thread but isnt running your own business as an SEO a bit over the top? - shouldn't it be the Website Designers job to ensure each page has the correct/optimal Description and Keyword metatags? and list the URL to Search Engines and directorys? - after all it doesnt take much of an effort?!

Imagine my surprise when I see many, many SEO companys on the web charging upto $3000 for a service... WOW I just cant believe it - ive just been through 9 hours of SEO Video Training to see if there was anything I didnt know and guess what? NO there isnt - it was very informative dont get me wrong but I didnt learn anything I didnt learn on my Basic web-design course... Im astounded that someone can make a career out of it.

Guess what services Im going to add to my roster...

2. amanxman

amanxman

Hey,

The answer is Yes and No.

Whoever builds the site should ensure each page is built to be search engine friendly (good titles, page layout, tidy se friendly scripts, correct use of <h1> etc tags etc etc etc etc.

That's what you would expect as any standard 'Search Engine Friendly' site - done by whoeever builds it.

However, the next step, done by SEO businesses is usually alot more:

They will ensure the site is built SE friendly (i.e. incase the builder didn't do that)
    They will optimise the builder's work
    This is the crux: They will then do months of follow up SEO work - the huge majority of extended SEO occurs post-site-live and over the following 6, 12, 24 months - ongoing in some cases.
    I won't detail everything that's done as it'll bore you to death (and expose trade secrets!!), but there are many many things that are done to improve rankings...

There is alot more to good SEO than a SE friendly site... the friendly site will make Google like you, the follow up with will, over time make google like you more.

A 9 hour SEO video training course will teach you some things involved in SEO, but by no means cover all bases..."correct/optimal Description and Keyword metatags? and list the URL to Search Engines and directorys" is only the icing on the cake... but yes, this should be done by the builder.

A lot of SEO companies work on a results basis - i.e. charge by results - they improve your traffic, you pay. They don't, you don't. This is when you can get into big bucks, for if a SEO company does very very well, your site traffic can go through the roof.

SEO also involves optimisation for visitors (as well as search engines) through customised landing pages, targetted landing pages, and all sorts of other keyword research.

So, yeah in summary, a good web developer will make a SE friendly site which will help heaps, but then think about it, it every site is SE friendly, how does your stand out? ;)

Hope that answers your question!
    amx

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thanks for that :)

I see - so that SEO works constantly behind the scenes trying to get traffic to your site - whereas a site-builder just wouldn't have the time to do that...yes I see - thanks for clarifying that - I thought there must be more to it due to people making business from it...

cheers :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice