1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: S.m.a.r.t.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MadMonkey69, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MadMonkey69

MadMonkey69 Thread Starter

I am getting :

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: *****************
    Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.
    Press F1 to continue

I have seen this before and know it means he HD is (well possibly) on its way out.

Is there anything i can run on the drive to repair or help it ? I dont mind losing what is on there as its all backed up, but i just cant really afford a new 500GB drive right now.

Would a complete Format & re-instal help ?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

The SMART warning is an early warning that the drive is likely to fail soon and there is nothing you can do to stop it. It's a mechanical electrical device which is always going to wear out in time, it is not a case of "if" it is more a case of "when".

Run the manufacturer's diagnostics to get a better idea on the health of the drive. Run the extended test.

3. MadMonkey69

Many thanks Mark, i will have a go and let you know (y)

4. MadMonkey69

Hi Mark, well i have tried a few things. I downloaded SeaTools (for Windows & DOS) and both say there is a SMART problem. I also tried running SpeedFan. The only part of S.M.A.R.T. that seems to be the problem is the:

Reallocated Sector Count

I spent a while reading up on this. There is no way to reset the S.M.A.R.T. data. it is basically is saying that it had trouble reading/writing some sectors and has stopped using them and is using others. There is a work round by creating a partition over the region which contains the remapped sectors, and instruct the operating system to not use that partition. That is a bit beyond myself though lol

So, i tried 2 other programs that i have used before for repairing Hard Drives. Spinrite & HDD Regenerator.....both are GREAT programs. The CRAZY thing is that neither of these can find ANY BAD sectors on the HD (HDD is still running at present), which is confusing me even more.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to replace the hard drive. It's broken. If you have important data on it, get it off as fast as possible.

You cannot repair a failed hard drive.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

What this is telling you is that the drive is wearing out. A Realocated Sectors Count of anything above zero shows that bad sectors have developed. The disc surface on the hard drive is physically wearing out which is not repairable. It's a bit like one cylinder on a car engine starting to burn oil, you can be sure the rest will follow.

There is no cure for this, all you can do is delay it by using chkdsk /r from the command prompt to run the Disk Check. This will move any data away from the bad sectors and stop them from being used again. Unfortunately within a short space of time you will find more bad sectors appearing and eventually it will cause problems with the PC's performance.

Back up all your important data and get yourself a new drive.

The Seagate test you ran is very reliable, I have no idea why Spinrite or the other software did not detect any problems as they are quite clearly in existance.

7. MadMonkey69

Thanks again Mark (and Double Helix). I am jjust trying to save my sister some money till after Xmas lol. Well, like i said she has everything backed up anyway, so i will tell her too keep using it until the new year, BUT i will treat het to a new drive at Xmas. Its only a year old running Windows 7, and she is not a big user either, how its worn ut i dont know. Like you say, why Spinrite & HDD regenerator cant not find any problems i do not know as that is proffesionally what they are designed for.

Thanks again both (y)

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your welcome and that should make a good Xmas present.

Do keep in mind that the diagnostics from Seagate are designed specifically for testing their own brand of drive where the other third party apps are not.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!