Solved: S.m.a.r.t.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MadMonkey69

I am getting :

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: *****************
Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.
Press F1 to continue

I have seen this before and know it means he HD is (well possibly) on its way out.

Is there anything i can run on the drive to repair or help it ? I dont mind losing what is on there as its all backed up, but i just cant really afford a new 500GB drive right now.

Would a complete Format & re-instal help ?

The SMART warning is an early warning that the drive is likely to fail soon and there is nothing you can do to stop it. It's a mechanical electrical device which is always going to wear out in time, it is not a case of "if" it is more a case of "when".

Run the manufacturer's diagnostics to get a better idea on the health of the drive. Run the extended test.
Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.
When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.
In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.
Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.
Excelstore
Hitachi/IBM
Samsung
Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum
Western Digital
Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

MadMonkey69

The SMART warning is an early warning that the drive is likely to fail soon and there is nothing you can do to stop it. It's a mechanical electrical device which is always going to wear out in time, it is not a case of "if" it is more a case of "when".

Run the manufacturer's diagnostics to get a better idea on the health of the drive. Run the extended test.
Many thanks Mark, i will have a go and let you know (y)

MadMonkey69

Hi Mark, well i have tried a few things. I downloaded SeaTools (for Windows & DOS) and both say there is a SMART problem. I also tried running SpeedFan. The only part of S.M.A.R.T. that seems to be the problem is the:

Reallocated Sector Count

I spent a while reading up on this. There is no way to reset the S.M.A.R.T. data. it is basically is saying that it had trouble reading/writing some sectors and has stopped using them and is using others. There is a work round by creating a partition over the region which contains the remapped sectors, and instruct the operating system to not use that partition. That is a bit beyond myself though lol

So, i tried 2 other programs that i have used before for repairing Hard Drives. Spinrite & HDD Regenerator.....both are GREAT programs. The CRAZY thing is that neither of these can find ANY BAD sectors on the HD (HDD is still running at present), which is confusing me even more.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You need to replace the hard drive. It's broken. If you have important data on it, get it off as fast as possible.

You cannot repair a failed hard drive.

What this is telling you is that the drive is wearing out. A Realocated Sectors Count of anything above zero shows that bad sectors have developed. The disc surface on the hard drive is physically wearing out which is not repairable. It's a bit like one cylinder on a car engine starting to burn oil, you can be sure the rest will follow.

There is no cure for this, all you can do is delay it by using chkdsk /r from the command prompt to run the Disk Check. This will move any data away from the bad sectors and stop them from being used again. Unfortunately within a short space of time you will find more bad sectors appearing and eventually it will cause problems with the PC's performance.

Back up all your important data and get yourself a new drive.

The Seagate test you ran is very reliable, I have no idea why Spinrite or the other software did not detect any problems as they are quite clearly in existance.

MadMonkey69

What this is telling you is that the drive is wearing out. A Realocated Sectors Count of anything above zero shows that bad sectors have developed. The disc surface on the hard drive is physically wearing out which is not repairable. It's a bit like one cylinder on a car engine starting to burn oil, you can be sure the rest will follow.

There is no cure for this, all you can do is delay it by using chkdsk /r from the command prompt to run the Disk Check. This will move any data away from the bad sectors and stop them from being used again. Unfortunately within a short space of time you will find more bad sectors appearing and eventually it will cause problems with the PC's performance.

Back up all your important data and get yourself a new drive.

The Seagate test you ran is very reliable, I have no idea why Spinrite or the other software did not detect any problems as they are quite clearly in existance.
Thanks again Mark (and Double Helix). I am jjust trying to save my sister some money till after Xmas lol. Well, like i said she has everything backed up anyway, so i will tell her too keep using it until the new year, BUT i will treat het to a new drive at Xmas. Its only a year old running Windows 7, and she is not a big user either, how its worn ut i dont know. Like you say, why Spinrite & HDD regenerator cant not find any problems i do not know as that is proffesionally what they are designed for.

Thanks again both (y)

Your welcome and that should make a good Xmas present.

Do keep in mind that the diagnostics from Seagate are designed specifically for testing their own brand of drive where the other third party apps are not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online