1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: S-Video cable show but wont play video

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by djdoitbig, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djdoitbig

djdoitbig Thread Starter

I have the cable connected properly. My desktop and everything else shows up on the TV,when I play a video it doesn't show, the box the video is in shows up, but not the video itself. I can see everything perfectly fine on the computer screen, but no video shows up on the TV. I have an ATI Mobility radeon 7500. It worked on another laptop just fine (Not sure what card). I adjusted the hardware acceleration bar in the troubleshooting option on the video options. [Properties>settings>advanced>troubleshoot>hardware acceleration]

and when adjusted to the lower few settings, the video will show on the tv, but in slow motion. Any help would be appreciated.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Is the video stuttering at least just the slightest or is it true slow motion? It sounds like everything is functioning but that the system just doesn't have enough goose to play the video without hardware acceleration.

3. djdoitbig

djdoitbig Thread Starter

yeah it seems to be in true slow motion. I assumer with a decent video card, and a P4 running at 2.0 MHz and 1 Gig of Ram it would have enough resources to handle it. The thing is. it is when the hardware acceleration is enabled, is when the screen doesnt show up at all on the TV. When disabled, it shows up in a slow motion type display. Very Frustrating!

4. 00trav

00trav

What software are you using to view the video.

have you tried watching a flash video (ie youtube)
    winDVD?
    windows media player?
    VLC?

what file type is the video you are trying to watch (ie dvd, divx, xvid)

5. newtonax

newtonax

There may be some technical problem.U must contact the admin.

6. djdoitbig

djdoitbig Thread Starter

ive tried windows media, winamp, and radlight, all do the same thing. No internet videos wont work either. But ofcourse all work perfectly on the computer just wont show actual video on the TV.

7. 00trav

00trav

okay well that debunked my first theory,

Will flash animations play on the TV-out (for example, a flash game).

have you tried setting the TV-out to be the primary monitor?

Lastly, try messing with the refresh rates of the TV-out

8. djdoitbig

djdoitbig Thread Starter

I was able to clearly play a flash game and a youtube (Flash) video on the TV screen.

9. 00trav

00trav

I had something similar happen to me on my old ATI card. It would block certain video programs from displaying on the 2nd monitor if it was a TV out. I can only assume it's some kind of protection for DVD copying. I noticed it on WinDVD, CyberDVD, WMP, and a bunch of others. I think the rendering is blocked from hardware side, which is why when you put it on software rendering it will display but in horrible framerates. I can't remember, but i think that when I used VLC I was able to get a TV out. The other thing I remember trying was switching which monitor was considered "number 1" although since you have a mobility I think that might be different.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, I remember having the same very annoying problem. and I am pretty sure its the hardware rendering on the ATI card, I just don't remember if I was able to fix it. I got a nvidea card and never had a problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice