1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: S-video means video capture card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by destinknee, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. destinknee

destinknee Thread Starter

Hey,

I am currently trying to connect my analogue camcorder to my computer.
    I have the necessary cables and program, but I have doubt about the S-Video hole on my computer. It's a newish computer and the S-video hole (sorry about the word 'hole', but it's the only one that's come to mind at the moment) came with the computer (right next to were the monitor connects, so I'm assuming its part of the graphics card).
    I'm also assuming that it is part of a video capture device (yer, I'm confused). I've tried connecting my camera with the aid of the software, but it doesn't detect a video capture device after I tell it I have connected all the wires and switched on the camera.:confused:

So does a S-Video hole mean that the computer has a video capture device, and if so, how can I know what type it is to download any extra drivers if needed? And is there such thing as an "on" button on one?

No documentation about it came with the computer which I find odd.:(

@>->->-
    Destinknee

2. raybro

raybro

I would say the S Video "hole" :D (you might consider the term 'Connecector' or 'Receptical) is a video OUTPUT from the graphics card, usually used for interface to a TV monitor. As to how you should connect your camcorder to the computer, my guess would VIA USB. The manual for the Camcorder should tell you what you need to know.

Raybro

3. destinknee

Thanks. That would make sense.

My camera is pretty old so the manual won't say anything about connecting to a computer 'cause it's not meant to. But this piece of info helps, now I know exactly what I have to buy to view the images stuck in the 8mm tapes.

:)

@>->->-
    Destinknee

4. raybro

raybro

8mm tapes!!! that is somewhat "dated"... :D Good luck:cool:

Raybro

5. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Sounds like you need a video capture device.
    It can be internal or external.
    I use an ADSTech DVDXPress external.

6. destinknee

Is that a good device? It seems pricy, is it worth the price?

7. mrman13

mrman13

DVDXpress is a great capture device and program. Not sure how much you priced it out at but Newegg has them for around $70. That's a pretty good price compared to some other brands.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Not sure what the price is on them now. Should be less than $100(I think I paid $80 after tax). They come with software to make it easy for you.

I don't know what the internal cards cost.

Guess it depends on how much you plan on using it. May be cheaper to take movies somewhere to be done.

It is $15/hr here for straight to disc, more if editing is involved.

No complaints with mine.
    You can record anything that uses S-Video or RCA jacks.
    8Tracks, cassettes, VHS, TV anything.

Hope that helps.

9. destinknee

Thanks guys for the help.

I'll check out more stores for that particular brand. I've considered an external one. Think it will be easier on my case.

:D

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Not a problem.
    Good luck.

11. raybro

raybro

Hey destinknee... If you think you have solved this question, please click on 'Thread Tools' at the top of the tread and select 'Solved'. This will help others to properly evaluate the status of the thread.

Raybro

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice