1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: s3trio 32/64 only displays 800x600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PK-her0, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys

on board graphics card has blown...i put in the only pcicard i could find...the rest were AGP...which i didnt hjave a slot. anyway computer boots and is working but display is only 800x600 in 16bit color...is it just that the card is so old that it doesnt display higher...and there are no graphics drivers for xp...it is installed in device manager as s3 trio 32/64...

can anything be done
    thanks

2. TekTime

TekTime

I think you hit the "nail on the head." Since it's a PCI card, it most likely was created prior to XP becoming popular. So, the issue you are having is due to not having drivers for the device that support higher than 16bit color. Many older PCI cards only supported 16bit resolution max so that sounds about right.

3. Compiler

Compiler

I feel kind of like OBI-WAN... S3Trio... now that is something I haven't heard in a long time. But that's not me.

Such cards were made in the days of Windows95 and ended before Windows XP. The card *CAN* do 1280x1024... but its not really supported and you're running in basic VGA mode. Consider the card for what it is... and emergency card until you can order a new card.

Does your computer have a PCIe slot?
    Do you just need basic Desktop functions or gaming? Since you're using onboard - sounds like you only need a basic card. A PCIe card will cost less than a PCI card and give you better performance. refer to you manual or use PC Wizard to determine if you have PCIe slots (linked below on my sig)

I'm shocked that S3 is still in business. Back in the Win3.x days, their cards were quite good for 2D gaming like DOOM. Their best card ever is 2 years ago and its on par with todays bottom end $25 video cards.

Here are some ATI 4350 cards.. $32~35. I'd go for the fanless XFX or MSI.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n=4350&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
    (PCI version of same card = $80+)

Here are a lists if PCI cards $40~60. A 6200 or 8400 should do. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

4. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

as always ,,,thanks a mill guys!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!