1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: safe shutdown if no mouse?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdemnyan1116, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

I had this happen to me a while ago. My mouse quit working for some strange reason. Could not shut down system as it shuts down from screen. Is there a safe way to shut down your computer if your mouse quits? I had to shut off the power with the button which shuts it down without saving anything.

2. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

press the WINDOWS button once[win logo on the key] and the letter U twice and that is all there is to it.

do not use the power button to shut down the system because it cause damage to your operating system.

i recommend LOGITECH as a high quality pc mouse manufacturer.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

On some computers the power button does shut down the computer like a normal shutdown but on some others it goes into a stand-by or hibernation mode. neither one will hurt anything. Also for immediate shut-down = pressing and holding the power button in the computer will just shut-down with no save off anything and might cause chkdsk or scan disk to run on bootup.

4. Lance1

Lance1

Windows key + U will bring up the utility manager. Just hit the Windows key and use your keyboard arrows to navigate to Turn Off Computer. And then tab over to Turn Off.

5. bbearren

bbearren

You can also use Cntl + Alt + Del, tab over to Shutdown. The drop-down can be worked with the arrow keys, then tab until OK is highlighted and hit Enter.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

"Windows key + U will bring up the utility manager."

Yeah, I've done that by accident several times. Use Windows key - U - U as ODIN 0ERO posted.

7. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers. I have two windows logos on my keyboard, guess just pick one. My computer is one that does not go through the cycle of shutting down windows, etc. It just shuts it down NOW. Computer came back on O.K. and is running good. Guess no harm was done. Thanks again, have printed them and are on file.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580186