Solved: Salvaging E-mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Adventomega

One of my computers recieved a virus a month ago. Unfortunatly, the antivirus software wouldn't allow me to log on. So, I took my hard drive out, put a new one in, put the old one in an enclosure, and removed the virus from it. Unfortunatly, I had all my e-mail in the Outlook Express Inbox. Is there anyway to salvage the e-mail from the old hard drive. I'd really appriciate any help anyone could offer. Thanks in advance.

Why don't you forwards your email from old hard disk to your other email like yahoo if u have one?just giving an idea...:D

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Adventomega

Do a Find or Search for:
*.dbx
Copy all the .dbx files to a folder, run a Virus scan on them as a precaution.

Check the properties of the .dbx files to verify they are *not* marked Read-only.

Then Import them into Outlook Express, you will need the Folders.dbx file for Outlook Express to see them.

In Outlook Express,
File > Import > Messages > Microsoft Outlook Express 6 > Next
Select: Import mail from an OE6 Store Directory
Browse to the folder containing the .dbx files.

If you are unable to locate any .dbx files using Search, you may need to enable Show Hidden Files or Folders
Open My Computer,
Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
Remove the check mark for Hide Extensions for known file types.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

and . . to salvage the addresses . . search for *.wab . . there may be more than one . . when you find and determine which is the one you were using, you can import into the working address book using the File . . Import . . Address Book

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Thanks for posting back and letting us know your results! (y)

You can mark your thread solved using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online