1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Samsung CLX-2160 shared between XP, Vista and Windows 7 ??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CJS23, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a customer who has a Samsung CLX-2160 Printer. (nb it is NOT the 2160N version)

The nightmare I am having is to share the printer between about 5 laptops on a home wireless networks.

In the customer's office I have a Vista Laptop which is wired via USB directly to the unit.

No problems printing.

All laptops are connected via EchoLife HG520s Router via Wireless.

I installed the printer driver on the XP, Vista and Windows 7 laptops.

Surprise surprise the XP laptops worked first time but the Vista & Windows 7 laptops did not.

Rather than bore you by forcing you to read my sporadic efforts which have had intermittent success (ALL units have printed at some point via Wireless Network) I would be grateful if someone could point me towards the correct method for sharing this unit across a Home Network.

(Samsung spent over an hour trying to sort and are completely stumped too despite escalation)

What is the best way to do it? The fact that it works for a while then stops suggests a dynamic environment as regards the network and my suspicions lie with DHCP.

I can find no mention of the printer within the router (maybe not surprising as connecting via Laptop to Printer USB connection)

Is the solution to designate a static IP for the laptop connected to the printer via whom they vare all trying to print?

I'm pulling out what little hair I have :)

This was exacerbated by the fact that the only thing which seemed to enable Printer Sharing was to DISABLE print sharing on the Vista / 7 Laptops - an interesting paradox no doubt but in the absence of Bill Gates cell phone # I'm at a loss.

To cap it all the printer which is connected Locally has now stopped Printing!!

Please help

Thanks again guys in advance for your help.

I can supply further detail if required.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/d...cd=06010100&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=CLX-2160

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only Vista that needs to have print sharing enabled is the one that has the printer to share. Probably better if the other Vista and 7 systems don't have it enabled.

When printing from one of the remote computers does not work what are the details of that "not working:?

Not sure what you meant by "the printer which is connected Locally has now stopped Printing." Do you mean the "owning" Vista now cannot print? If so, ya gotta get that working first. :)

3. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Hi

Perhaps I should clarify the situation :)

There are 5 laptops in question. 2 x Vista, 2 x XP and 1 x Windows 7

All the laptops connect to the internet with a wireless connection.

One of the laptops is connected to the Samsung Printer with a USB Cable (no Ethernet connection on the printer)

This machine is on Vista.

It is via this machine that I have been trying to get all the printers to print.

The name of the Laptop in question is COLIN-PC

ALL laptops can successfully browse the network and see both COLIN-PC and "Our Samsung CLX-2160" <a name I gave the Printer)

ALL laptops were able to print via the network.

An hour or so later - with no change to any configuration and without the Laptops or Router being rebooted

1) Laptops ceased to be able to print across the network
    and
    2) The Vista laptop "COLIN-PC" also ceased to be able to print Locally ie plugged in with USB Cable!!

So, TerryNet, can I confirm that the procedure should be the following:-

a) Uninstall then re-install the Printer Driver on the main laptop

b) Enable Print Sharing on the main laptop but disable File sharing (?)

c) Disable File and Printer sharing on ALL the other laptops

d) Install the driver on all the other laptops (is this needed - or can I just browse the network to the shared printer and allow the driver to self-install (as it DID DO successfully on my 1st partially successful run))

?

4. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

These are the instructions contained in the user manual, however they pertain to XP and I cannot seem to locate similar instructions as per Vista:

*****************************************************************************************

Sharing the Printer Locally
    You can connect the printer directly to a selected computer,
    which is called “host computer,” on the network.
    The following procedure is for Windows XP. For other Windows
    OS, refer to the corresponding Windows User's Guide or online
    help.
    NOTES:
    • Check the Operating System(s) that are compatible with
    your printer. Please refer to the OS Compatibility section of
    Printer Specifications in your Printer User’s Guide.
    • If you need to know the exact name of your printer, you can
    check the supplied CD-ROM.
    Setting Up a Host Computer
    1 Start Windows.
    2 From the Start menu select Printers and Faxes.
    3 Double-click your printer driver icon.
    4 From the Printer menu, select Sharing.
    5 Check the Share this printer box.
    6 Fill in the Shared Name field, and then click OK.
    Setting Up a Client Computer
    1 Right-click the Windows Start button and select Explorer.
    2 Open your network folder in the left column.
    3 Click the shared name.
    4 From the Start menu select Printers and Faxes.
    5 Double-click your printer driver icon.
    6 From the Printer menu, select Properties.
    7 From the Ports tab, click Add Port.
    8 Select Local Port and click New Port.
    9 Fill in the Enter a port name field with the shared name.
    10Click OK and click Close.
    11Click Apply and click OK.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you for all the clarification, especially the above. I think that you probably do NOT have a network or sharing problem. Sounds more like a printer problem or USB or power management issue on the "owning" Vista.

Check whatever printer and power management options you can find to see if maybe the printer is being allowed to go to sleep or standby when idle, and is not coming out of it.

6. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Thanks. I will check this out.

How about . . .

So, TerryNet, can I confirm that the procedure should be the following:-

a) Uninstall then re-install the Printer Driver on the main laptop

b) Enable Print Sharing on the main laptop but disable File sharing (?)

c) Disable File and Printer sharing on ALL the other laptops

d) Install the driver on all the other laptops (is this needed - or can I just browse the network to the shared printer and allow the driver to self-install (as it DID DO successfully on my 1st partially successful run))

Does the above sound about right? Especially the bit about only installing the Samsung Software on Host machine only?

I found this excellent guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb727037.aspx

which has only served to confuse me. lol

The curious thing for me is that at NO TIME did any of the Clients lose sight of the Host or the Host's Printer - only their ability to print to it.

When it stopped working, even the Test Page brought up immediate error saying essentially that the Test Page did not complete and that the job had been deleted.

Hmm - at customer's at 10.00 BST (09:00 GMT) - so wish me luck!!

O the final confusion is the local USB Lead type printing suddenly stopping working!! This has never happened to the customer before and occurred only after my clumsy attempt at setting up the Networked Printing.

Right, so I THINK I've got it (bearing in mind Host is Vista and Clients are XP, Vista and Windows 7)

1) Install Printer Locally on Host as if it were the only Laptop in the world :)
    2) "Turn on Printer Sharing"
    3) DISABLE all manner of sharing on all the Clients
    4) Share the Printer as per instructions here http://www.home-network-help.com/vista-printer-sharing.html
    5) ??On Clients - Printers, add Printer, Browse Network and double click the found shared printer ?? Install Driver?
    6) Start the car :D
    7) Send a print

What do you think?

Thanks again

Chris

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Concentrate on the printer and the "owning" Vista. Just about anything is possible with networking and with printers, but I don't see how anything you did or did not do on the remote computers should have impacted printing on the "owning" computer.

8. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Absolutely. I will post how I get on. I suppose the Vista Host is the common denominator in this situation so I will concentrate on that as you say.

I may be in bed before I see your reply but final point is (OK 2 points are . . . :) ),

1) How important is having identical Workgroup name on all machines?
    2) Should I install any of the Printer Software on the Client machines?

Can't thank you enough for your speedy responses and continued help.

Kind regards

Chris

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I looked it up and see that it is a laser multifunction color printer. Usually the only thing you can do from client (remote) computers is print, but you would have to check the manual to see if this is an exception to that rule. If all you can do is print then all that's needed is the printer driver.

Having the workgroup the same on all computers is advisable--gives users the convenience of using My Network Places and 'view workgroup computers'--but is not a necessity.

10. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Thanks, TerryNet.

Yes, the only functionality required from Clients is printing.

I have noted your comments on Workgroup naming too.

Will post how I get on.

Chris

11. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

All laptops except one can now reliably print via network.

THANK YOU!

However, :) lol , one x86 Vista will not even successfully add the printer. It adds but you can neither print nor call up properties.

I attach a screenshot of the error.

Subsequent to this, I tried the Microsoft Fix at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 as the Lexmark Service was running but still remains present although disabled in services.msc.

Above error has gone but still says "Operation could not be completed" when trying to call up Printing Preferences.

Also get "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I've even rebuilt JET database and done "regsvr32 jscript.dll" successfully. Did print via USB once but then nothing. Same whether over network or via USB

Attached Files:

12. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

By the way, despite the dubious and fully loaded System Tray, the system is malware free. It's been Combofixed, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware'd and AVAST!ed - :)

Additionally, the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 Microsoft Fix refers to XP and not Vista x86 as needed. :confused:

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does this mean there used to be a Lexmark printer installed?

Here's a hunch. It will be time consuming with no guarantee of any success.

Uninstall the Samsung from the troubled Vista.

Make sure you create a System Restore Point or otherwise backup the registry, then delete all registry references to Lexmark and Samsung. Then try adding the printer again.

I'd use Regedit, 'cause that's all I know, but there may be a better tool for registry editing.

14. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Yes it did once have a Lexmark living on it. Have come across this before with Lexmark service still running and disabling it normally does the trick.

Is there any way of writing a batch file of some sort to delete wildcard references to Samsung / Lexmark?

I will try the Regedit option.

15. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!