1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Samsung hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kepiano, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Does anybody know the parameters for a 7200rpm, 80 GB Samsung HDD? My bios is set up to auto detect a new hard drive, but it sort of freezes and won't do anything, including let me out of the bios. When the computer first starts to boot it lists the new hard drive. If I let the computer continue to boot, the next page has the configuration and instead of having the primary master, primary slave, secondary master, etc. listed, it stops at the primary master and has no info about it.
    I had hoped that just in case the bios wouldn't recognize the whole 80 gigs, I would download a drive overlay from samsung, unfortunately they have an endless loop asking me to register. (Please register before downloading, I register, try to download, and it sends me to the register page again.)
    If someone could please help me get my new master hard drive installed - I would be forever grateful!!

2. plschwartz

plschwartz

3. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

I encountered the dead link as well. And yes, the registration is where I got stuck. I've filled out the stupid form more times than I care to remember (always the eternal optimist, hoping that maybe it would work this time....).
    I tried going to the on-track website, but their link for samsung is dead.
    On the hard drive it gives the LBA parameters as:
    LBA 156, 368, 016
    Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of this information.

4. plschwartz

plschwartz

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/faqs/faqs_20021118_0000000042.htm

says Question
    Where can I get the Parameters?
    Answer
    Please, refer to the attachment.

[For reference]
    You have to use LBA mode for recognizing a HDD over 8.4GB.
    CHS(Cylinder, Head, Sector) mode can't support over 8.4GB.
    Maximum number of logical cylinders in CHS mode is 16,383.
    You can find the LBA value from the HDD label.
    Please set the CMOS setup with auto detection in your system.

but the numbers you have dont seem to make sense
    http://www.boot-us.com/gloss11.htm
    gives aformula he total disk size is simply the product of the total number of sectors (number of cylinders x number of heads x number of sectors/track) with 512 (the sector size).
    Multiplying out doesnt give 80gb.

What about (as we sometimes say in NYC) taking it from the New Jersey side
    what about your bios?
    Detail your MB pleease

Oh did you plug those #s into the Cmos?

5. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

MB - Legend QDI Advance 9. CPU - 600 Mhz Pentioum 111
    No about the numbers...didn't know what order and plus it won't let me do 'user defined'.

6. plschwartz

plschwartz

went to http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/products/lx9.htm
    and found a LegenX 9 mb but it is a pentiumII board with a 466mHz chip max so doesn't seem to be the same as your board. Antway it is a board with last bios revision of 1998. with top HDD transfer speed of 33mB So in any case your drive wouln't work well.
    I think its like putting a car engine in a go-cart.
    Better bit the bullet and upgrade.
    might be able to get a 266FSB miniatx board w onboard video for about $50 chip for about the same and 256 mem for about the same (but board is a small size might just not fit your case!)

7. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

According to my manual for the mobo, the transfer rate is 66.6 MB/s. So I don't think that is too much of a problem. Right now my main issue is the fact that the bios freezes when it is supposed to be detecting the new drive. Any thoughts on that problem?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Yes, that is the right board. I would really rather not have to flash the bios if at all possible. I have been trying to obtain a drive overlay - rather unsuccessfully, I might add. I think I will try phoning samsung.....
    Thank you for replying

10. plschwartz

plschwartz

As I said this is what I found on the website which was closest to your board.
    Perhaps you can go to the qdi website and actually find your board and see if there is a bios update

It does seem that your bios is quite out of date so much so that it cannot read this modern drive. So finding the board will allow you to see if there is a bios update sufficient to allow the bios to read the drive

This may be useful or not
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;186057

I do hope your computer can be riggged to read your drive, but your hypothesis that HDD bios instructions are completely backward compatable may or may not be correct. This is why I suggested you may need to either give up the drive or the system. In the former case you may have to to get a drive not of the lastest generation. But how old I do not know.

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/bios/overDDO.html
    gives alot of background and does come up with the reasonable suggestion of an add-on card to give you an up-to-date bios
    http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=AIDH1331 presents one for us$20 plus shipping

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A BIOS update is a much better solution then an overlay which is quite messy to work with if your drive ever fails or you need to get the data off your computer, nor would it help your BIOS detect the drive - you'd still have to manually set up the drive in the BIOS. There are risks in flashing the BIOS but I've only had one or two boards die, and they had issues before hand, out of maybe a hundred.

12. plschwartz

plschwartz

I am glad 666 tracked down the correct board. I agree with you about not wanted to do bios update but it does seem to be there if you want a free option

I would go with an add-in card myself since I had a bad experience with a bios update.
    another such card would be :
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=580713/search=agp%204x
    us$29 with free shipping. I have myself had good experience with a promise card and cannot vouch for highpoint tho I do trust computergate as a vendor.

13. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help and research. I have decided to go with a smaller drive. I probably didn't need an 80 gb anyhow.....just thought it would be nice not to worry about filling it up. I have a 15 and an 8 (slave) at the moment. The c: is still working fine....funny noises. Did an online check and it failed. The d: was fine. I have everything backed up, so in a couple of weeks will put a 40 gb in. I believe the mobo will handle that just fine.
    Thanks again!!

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just another software overlay opinion here ;) I have used it many times without a problem. As to getting info off if it dies, all you need to do is temporarily install the overlay on another drive, and you can pull info off real easily. Then you just remove the overlay on the other drive.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It may handle a 40 GB either, the limits are 8GB, 32Gb, 137Gb. $0 would be over the 32GB limit as well that this board may have. If you can manually set up the drive in the BIOS using the correct parameters then you could use a Drive Overlay.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/227704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice