1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Samsung Receiver Question

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Alacazam_, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alacazam_

Alacazam_ Thread Starter

Greetings everyone. My family recently purchased a Samsung home entertainment system from our local Brick and I've been experiencing some difficulty in trying to figure out how to plug in my pair of stereo headphones. I've tried a few things up to this point, but there's been little success thus far. Before I get into any details can someone please tell me if this specific model even supports the use of headphones at all? Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Headphones: Sony MDR-XD200
    Receiver: Samsung HTD-D550

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Looks like that system is not equipped to use headphones.

3. Alacazam_

Alacazam_ Thread Starter

Ouch, that's actually a huge problem. Is there any way to modify the receiver to recognize my headphones? If not, is there some kind of accessory that I can purchase to facilitate that need? By the way, this system is past the 7 day return limit. So exchanging it for something else or getting our money back isn't an option unfortunately. :(

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

That system doesn't actually even have standard line out
    line level RCA connectors,so the only thing I can think of
    is an external speaker selector switch with a headphone jack.
    This is just an example,but you should be able to find something
    to suit your needs.
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-TC-25-/50-6200
    The speaker outputs from your system would connect to the switch
    and the switch would connect toi the speakers.
    Being as your headphones are stereo,you would want to
    run the front left and right speakers through the switch.
    There are different switches out there.
    You would need to check around and find one that is good for you.

5. Alacazam_

Alacazam_ Thread Starter

Hmm, so would this switch box allow me to utilize my headphones with devices that would be connected to the receiver itself? To give you an idea of my setup, I currently have composite audio running to my DVR and digital going to my PS3. I'm assuming if this worked, then would I finally have the ability to use my headphones, when needed, with these mentioned items? Also, would I have the ability to switch back and forth between my headphones and the surround sound using this method? Thanks for the suggestion, sorry if these questions seem a little layman. :eek:

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Basically you would connect the front right and left speakers
    through the switch.
    The type of switch box I listed produces headphone level
    output using built in circuits.
    I think the headphone jack is always active but the speakers
    can be turned off.
    Not really helpful to turn the speakers off as it will not affect
    the rear,center or subwoofer speakers as only the front
    speakers will be hooked to the switch.
    The volume is still controlled by the reciever.

7. Alacazam_

Alacazam_ Thread Starter

So would the rear and center speakers still produce audio when using my headphones through this switch box? If that's the case then it kinda defeats the purpose of what I'm looking to do here. Also, would the option of surround sound become unavailable once this system is setup? Would the front left and right speakers revert to surround sound if the switch box was turned off? Once again I apologize if these questions seem irregular. I'm just trying to get a firm understanding of how this will all work.

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If you turn off the switch that the front speakers are connected to
    they would turn off.
    Using a stereo switch,the rear,center and sub woofer speakers
    will not be connected to the switch at all.
    If the reciever has a speaker switch,that should turn off all the speakers
    even if the external switch is on.
    If the receiver doesn't have a speaker switch,the rear and center and sub
    will still be on no matter what you do with the external switch.
    I looked aroung for a 5.1 switch,but wasn't finding anything.

9. Alacazam_

Alacazam_ Thread Starter

I see, *sigh*. I'm afraid that just isn't going to work then. I really need to have the ability to swap between my headphones and the surround sound seamlessly. I honestly don't think my family would be very receptive to the idea of our new home entertainment system being used exclusively for the sake of my own privacy. Do you think a pair of USB headphones would do the trick? :confused:

10. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I'm pretty sure the usb connection on there is for connecting
    devices like flash drives and such.
    I don't think it has the hardware to handle usb headphones.
    Might check the manual.

11. Alacazam_

Alacazam_ Thread Starter

You're probably right, but I might as well give it a shot nonetheless. Besides, there's really not that much else I can do at this point. I'll let you know the end result.

12. buffoon

buffoon

Unless Samsung supplies a completely different feature model in N. America, the HT-D550 should sport both composite and component A/V output on the back. Both are line-out for audio as well. Completely analogue of course, but just hooking an audio RCA connector/adaptor cable (red and white plugs one end merging into single 3,5 mm coupling on the other to take standard analogue headphone jack) to the Samsung should get you sound. Headphone needs to have its own volume control though, since the output volume is constant level and requires external regulation.

If that works (i.e. your Samsung has those connections on the back) be careful of oversteering your headphone membranes. Accidental maximum may blow them apart.

Not the most elegant of solutions but with sufficient care taken (and that's important) it's feasible.

13. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

All I saw on the back of that unit was RCA component input for
    one external device and RGB video out component connections.
    As far as RCA connectors go anyway.

14. Alacazam_

Alacazam_ Thread Starter

Hello again everyone, sorry for the late reply. Anyway, as expected, the USB headphones were a bust. Like Leroy had previously stated, the port is more geared towards portable devices. Miraculously I was actually able to make this work regardless. By plugging an RCA in to analogue headphone jack adapter to my DVR's composite out port I was finally able to hear oh so beautiful sound through my headphones. Currently have surround sound running digital from the receiver to my DVR as well. So in the end I've been able to satisfy both my own needs and those of my family. Really couldn't have done it without the great technical support provided on this website. Keep up the good work and thank you all very much. :D (y)

P.S. One last question for my own curiosity. Is there such a thing as an audio in to audio out adapter for RCA connections? Essentially can you make a RW composite audio in port to an audio out one?

15. buffoon

buffoon

Well, that's the next best thing to what I suggested (assuming the Samsung has none of those). :)
    Don't quite understand this. You mean for reversing signal direction? :confused:

Or just to convert male to female plug?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice