1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro" v. "PNY GeForce 6600GT"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roblobob, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

Which is the better card, the "Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128MB" or the "PNY GeForce 6600GT 128MB"? I'm talking about the AGP versions. The 6600GT is about £10 more here in the UK. I had a faulty Radeon 9600XT so I'm looking for a new card. I will spend around £150 ($260). These 2 cards have caught my eye and I don't know which to choose. What would you get?

2. cheese

cheese

Is the 9800pro 256bit or 128?

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The Atlantis is a 128 bit.

4. WarC

WarC

Go for the nVidia. It has better pixel shaders, and its slightly faster. The 128-bit version of the 9800 Pro is slower than the 256-bit version, but even the 256-bit would lag behind the 6600GT in most tests. The 6600GT has 8 pipelines just like the Radeon and faster clocked GPU/RAM. With so little difference in price between them, I'd go 6600GT.

5. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

The Radeon 9800 Pro card I am talking about is 256bit. You must be talking about the Lite version of the card which is 128bit and about £30 cheaper. Click Here for the specs of the "Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128MB".

I would also like the card I pick to overclock pretty well. I've heard that both cards run pretty hot at stock speeds and I'm not sure which is the better overclocker. So, is the 6600GT still the better option?

Thanks.

6. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

I'm now looking at the XFX 6600GT. It is slightly more expensive but has slightly faster memory than the PNY 6600GT. I noticed that the 6600GT has 128bit memory, slower than the 9800Pro? I'm still not sure whether to go for the Radeon 9800Pro or the 6600GT though.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It seems Sapphire has only added to the confusion.
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/forum/commforums.asp

Sapphire has released a press statement regarding all the confusion the 128-bit Radeon 9800Pro's have caused.

Here is the statement:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since the roll-out of the SAPPHIRE 128-bit version of RADEON 9800 PRO core into the channel it has been brought to our attention that this model is being met with some confusion and for this we would like to extend our sincere apologies. Keeping with our level of interaction within the community, Sapphire is moving to alleviate said confusion by renaming the 128-bit version to the SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 ATLANTIS and we are instructing each of our retail partners to clearly and prominently list the 128-bit specification. Further to this end, the SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 ATLANTIS 128-bit products boxes will now be labeled with an oversized 128-bit sticker on the boxes face as well. Inquiries have been made into our retail partners and the investigation has yielded no findings that any of our loyal customers have been charged the 256-bit price for the 128-bit part. SAPPHIRE encourages any of our customers who purchased a 128-bit part under the assumption that it was 256-bit part to exercise your right to return your product. Should you have difficulty finding satisfaction with your retailer, SAPPHIRE continues to stand firmly behind our products and asks you to contact SAPPHIRE directly.

For end users in the U.S. who can not return the product to the supplier feel free to contact 909-594-3128. You will need to present the product, sales receipt and provide the discounted retail price
    difference of US$25.

For end users in Asia contact +852-2689-8888 and request the procedure for upgrade.

SAPPHIRE welcomes any and all inquiries into this matter in keeping with our commitment to our customers and welcomes the opportunity to continue to help outfit the gaming community with the industries most widely respected and innovative products."

European Press contact is: Bill Donnelly, Pathway PR, 264a High Street, Berkhamsted, Herts,
    HP4 1AQ, UK
    Tel: +44 (0) 1442 874006. Email: [email protected]

North American Press contact e-mails to: [email protected]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who feel Sapphire has wronged the general public with the release of this product, here is your official answer from the company itself.

If you have any questions, please conduct yourselves in the manner suggested by the press statement.

I'd be very careful with "Atlantis". I know the card you were looking at said Atlantis pro, but the were selling 128 bit 9800 pros and now their own press release is confusing as hell.

I got my link from the same sapphire page but this link is in the forums. Sapphire makes good cards but I'd be careful and really check it out before I bought an atlantis.

Since you have decided on an nvidia card, this is moot. The one thing I have heard is XFX has some problems. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've yet to see an XFX work past its warranty, these are really pathetically built cards. Have you ever had a PINE motherboard or other product? Well they were worse then PCCHIPS and XFX is a division of PINE. I would stay away.

11. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts. I like the the look of the XFX card because it has slightly faster memory and has good reviews on newegg. I also read a good review of the card here http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=xfx6600gtagp&page=1 . The PNY card is cheaper though. Are the XFX cards really as bad as they are made out to be?

Thanks.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Remember the reviews on newegg are from people that just bought the card. They haven't had time to break down yet. Get the PNY and OC the memory if that is what is holding you back from buying the card.

I wouldn't buy an XFX just because I know people that have owned them. They aren't quality.

If I were to buy an Nvidia card, it would be either PNY or BFG. They are reputable manufacturers. XFX is not.

Triple6 and myself both say nay. Anybody else??

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The 9800 is a great card, and sapphire makes the best out there. Rumor has it that Sapphire makes the "made by ATI" cards.;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice