1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SATA 3 hard drive to replace a SATA 1 hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffg, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ffg

ffg Thread Starter

Computer: Dell Dimension 5100. 6 years old.
    Current hard drive: SATA 250GB (think it's SATA 1). Dell web site says its ATA-133

Looking to: Replace the hard drive due to faults

Question: Can I fit a SATA 3 hard drive in this computer? Would this just work at SATA 1 speeds because of the old mainboard? Most of the hard drives listed for sale are now SATA 3.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Nerdbit

Nerdbit

The Sata 3 will work as it is backwards compatible. Some models you may have to set a jumper but that will be detailed in the manual or manufactures website.

Edit: I read the op too fast missed the ata-133. If you have a sata 1 mobo or controller a sata 3 would work. However you do not have sata you will need a different drive.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Welcome to Techguy, ffg! Your computer doesn't support SATA drives. so, you either need to buy an IDE drive as a replacement, or spend a few bucks for a SATA controller. Since I expect the machine is running XP, you are really better off using an IDE/PATA drive rather than adding an aftermarket controller. Sticking with an IDE drive means that you avoid hassles like needing a floppy disk with the controller driver on it when you re-load Windows. In practical terms, you wouldn't see much benefit from a SATA drive and controller; it would just be more money and more annoyance. All of the current hard drive interfaces exceed the performance of a standard hard drive. You have to get into SSDs before the bus limits performance.

4. ffg

ffg Thread Starter

I can assure you that it is SATA.

5. replay

replay

6. Nerdbit

Nerdbit

Just googled system and yes you do have two sata Ports. You had mentioned ata-133 which is ide related not sata. So yes like I said originally you will be fine with a sata 3 drive just make sure you check documentation for any drive jumper settings

7. ffg

ffg Thread Starter

I got that ATA-133 bit from the BIOS info earlier.

Thanks for confirming that SATA 3 will work.

The other thing I can't find in the system manual or Dell website is the maximum size that the 5100 will take. Some Google searching shows that a 500GB will work (will be enough for me), but do you reckon a 750 or 1TB would work?

Thanks.

8. Nerdbit

Nerdbit

I can't find any instant information on size limits for the controller. I did find others using 1tb fine so you should be okay up to 1tb.

Sent on the go. Please excuse spelling and punctuation errors.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

The reason BIOS is showing ATA-133 is because BIOS is set to configure SATA drives as IDE. I would leave the setting as is.

Some of the early SATA boards will work just fine with a SATA 3 drive and others need the jumper set to 1.5GB transfer speed. On early boards with the 1.5GB SATA controllers I automatically just go ahead and jumper the drive to the 1.5GB transfer rate before I install it so if the drive has a problem with the slower controller I don't have to bother with pulling the drive again to set the jumper.

10. chunkylover53

chunkylover53

I have the latter version of your PC, dell dimension 5150. I can confirm up to 1tb HDDs will work. Also SSD's will work perfectly and very quickly.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice