1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sata Emulation Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by necrophea, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necrophea

necrophea Thread Starter

While testing some hard drive benchmark software, i decided to attempt to switch sata emulation modes in bios. I've discovered that my bios was set to raid by default. Any attempt to change from raid, to IDE or AHCI for example causes the computer to be unable to boot.

If i were to install a SSD, Would I be negatively impacted on the inability to switch sata modes?

Ive already tried the registry "fix" of setting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci start value to 0, and rebooted.

This had no effect.

Do i need to be able to switch out of raid? is this even an issue?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    The mode typically has to be set or changed BEFORE OS installation. Any changes after installation typically cause the PC not to function properly.

RAID would only be chosen if you are running RAID. Otherwise, you would use IDE or AHCI. For a Win7 or 8 installation, you would use AHCI.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How many physical hard drives are in that computer ? You need at least 2 to have a real Raid set up.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's no issue with the SATA controller being set to RAID even with one drive, just gives you the option to use RAID down the road and has the features of AHCI anyways. The boot error is completely normal and expected when you switch the mode. Leave teh controller in RAID modem and you're go to good.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I understand. Seemed strange it was set on Raid in the first place though.

6. necrophea

necrophea Thread Starter

Yeah I thought it was strange as well..the pc now has 2 physical drives..but when I purchased it..it only contained one 1.5 tb drive....seemed strange but I guess they planned on users adding additional drives to it. Oh well as long as an ssd will perform well, there is no issue.. Thank you all for your help.

Happy holidays!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice