1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SATA Hard Drives vs PATA Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nildefects, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nildefects

nildefects Thread Starter

Hi,
    I currently have 2 PATA hard drives installed in my system that both run off the same IDE ribbon cable. My MSI MS-7184 motherboard has 2 SATA connections and 2 SATA power supplies available. Would I benefit much by upgrading my hardrives to SATA ones? One of them holds the operating system and programs etc (160GB) and the other stores my mp3's (320GB). Would there be much speed gained or not enough for me to notice? Also would data be transferred faster if my PATA drives had one IDE cable each instead of sharing one? I seem to have 2 IDE connections on the motherboard.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Depending on your specific usage, you might benefit from splitting the PATA drives between the controllers. IMO, you will not notice any difference replacing the drives with SATA drives assuming the rotational speed and disk buffer size is the same on the SATA drives as the PATA drives. Either ATA-133 or SATA-150 is far faster than the best hard drive mechanics can transfer data, so that's not the real bottleneck.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will not even notice any difference. The limiting factor is not the interface ie sata / ide, it is the physical ability of the disk to transfer info / data.

If you are comparing like drives ie speed, cache, etc, there will be no difference in speed.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

John beat me...again.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You gotta' be fast in this world. :D

6. nildefects

nildefects Thread Starter

Thanks very much guys. I'll not bother changing to SATA.

7. jackdw

jackdw

If you plan to get another hard drive, for extra storage, get a SATA. But as already said, don't bother upgrading the PATA to SATA.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice