1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sata Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slashthebassist, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slashthebassist

Slashthebassist Thread Starter

Hey I just built a computer and it works all fine nad nice but one thng...I have two sata hard drives but it only registers one and when I try raid it says it doesn't detect it (as in the raid drive...says only unknown drive....and in bios it detects both drives...

2. bigbear

bigbear

A bit more info would help to answer your question.
    Where are you seeing it registed?
    Have you setup a raid array and which type?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I do not understand your post. You have two sata drives and you only see one in windows is that correct? Have you partitioned and formatted the second drive?

As to raid, you do understand that if you create a raid array with your current drives ALL data will be destroyed correct?

Post exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

4. Slashthebassist

I made a raid array but it says unknown drive and when I try to install windows it gets an error...and it is a striping array and it is saying I have two hard drives in Bios but only one in windows...both are 250 but it says only one 250 in windows

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, this does not make sense. If you have a stripe raid array [raid0] you will have an array 2X the size of the smallest drive ie 500 gig not 250. It sounds like you are missing something here.

List your exact specs ie make and model of mb, Brand and wattage of power supply, type of video card, etc.

Are you able to enter the raid bios? If so, what is the status of your array?

6. Slashthebassist

i know its out of the raid for now because when I have it in raid windows doesn't sense it when I try to install windows....anyway here my specs...

Asus Crosshair MB
    eVGA 7950gx2
    2 gigs Corsair memory
    680W Beast aspire PSU
    4200+ 2.2GHZ (I think thats the right number...the GHZ is right ) AMD 64 X2 processor

and I can enter the raid bios and says its healthy...but after that it all goes to hell

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have two raid controllers on that board; an nvidia raid AND sil raid. Which controller do you have your raid array connected to? You will need to load the driver in order for windows to "See" the array. This is done during the first part of setup when it prompts you to hit the F6 key to load scsi drivers.

You must install the correct driver ie whatever one you have your array connected to.

8. Slashthebassist

I don't know which array its connect to....since I was using nvidia drivers before I guess it would make the other one right?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

They are usually color coded. Check your manual.

10. Brum

Brum

It sounds like you need to partition the second hard drive so that windows will recognize it, but that isn't what you want to do for a RAID 0. If ur using a RAID array you need to probably setup the array and install windows on the array. heres a link to that explains how to set up a RAID array if your computer is brand new and doesn't have windows on it yet.

http://www.hardware.info/en-US/articles/am5na2ppZA/RAID_0_1_and_5_stepbystep/3

11. Brum

Brum

My guess is, (although you didn't provide enough information for me to be sure) you probably need to make a floppy of your RAID driver and reinstall windows. When the "blue screen of death" appears, right away it will say "Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver." When this appears push F6 and install your RAID/SATA driver.

12. Slashthebassist

um its fixed lol I realized what I was doing wrong...I was using the wrong drivers entirely....so its all ok now...thanks for the helpp

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good work. I will mark this one as solved. For future reference you can mark your own thread as solved using the thread tools at the top.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice