1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SATA HD power adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MURANNU67, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MURANNU67

MURANNU67 Thread Starter

Recently bought a SATA HD adapter to read an old 3.5" HD. for some reason it only shows 53 GB instead of 120 GB. Also cannot see any old files that i had on there previously. Any way i can retrieve all the data? :confused:

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Do you mean it is an IDE hard drive you put a Sata adapter on the back of it and connected it to a Sata port on the motherboard of your PC?

3. MURANNU67

MURANNU67 Thread Starter

I have an old internal 3.5" HD that i took out from a computer that does not work. I found an adapter that supports Serial ATA 2.5" and 3.5" HD that i can put my HD in the adpater and plug it into the computer with a USB cable and it should read it like a HD on my computer. The problem is that when the drive shows up it only shows a fraction of the HD (53 GB) but the HD is 120 GB. I can see some files but not all of them.

I have old files on it i'm trying to retrive.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I have seveeral of those adapters I have purchased through the years, some work on some drives but not others, so I just try another adapter.

If there is a jumper on the hard drive to limit it to SATA I, set it and try again. I think only WD brand drives have this feature.

Otherwise I would try another adapter brand.

You may have to run recovery software on the drive, this is the best that I have ever used.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

5. MURANNU67

MURANNU67 Thread Starter

Problem Solved awesome! thank you for your help.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

What did you do?

You are welcome.

7. MURANNU67

MURANNU67 Thread Starter

I went to the website and ran the software and it brought up all my old files on the HD. All the files were there just like before.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice