1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SATA HDD #2 fails to power up after plugging in HDD #3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meirionwyllt, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meirionwyllt

meirionwyllt Thread Starter

I have a three port SATA controller PCI card, into which I successfully ran two 500GB SATA HDDs. One of them had the old-style 4-pin power socket (PATA IDE drives), while the other needed an adapter cause it was a SATA power connector only.

Anyway, all was fine until I purchased a third SATA drive and plugged it into the remaining slot, situated on the out-facing metal plate of the controller card. This one also needed a power adapter for my old-style PSU. The new drive worked fine, but the second of the two original drives fails to load.

First of all, am I right in guessing that it's not a power issue? The reason I think this is because in the past when I've plugged an unpowered drive into the SATA controller, it renders the SATA controller useless, and none of the SATA drives appear in My Computer. So, because I can get two out of the three drives to work simultaneously, am I right in thinking that it's not the power?

Is there some sort of SATA BIOS that I need to tap into to enable something? How is this done?

Any ideas?

2. meirionwyllt

Should I just accept that this is infact only 2 port, and that the 2nd and 3rd slot are shared between one inward facing slot and one facing out of the computer case? Or is there some way to enable the 3rd port?

3. meirionwyllt

I guess it wasn't a true 3-port controller after all. Had to buy another controller in the end, but all is well now.

If buying these from ebay, 3-port SATA and 1-port IDE controller, be aware that these might not be 3 port.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice