1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SATA HDD not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kjdownunder, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdownunder

kjdownunder Thread Starter

Hi, I have just spent 2 days reading all the threads on here. Wow there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. There are even more problems out there too.
    My problem has been addressed quite a few times and I have tried all the suggested cures without success, so I'll put up the details in the hope someone has had the exact same problem but has solved it.
    I assembled a new system with a P4 3.2E CPU, ASUS P4P800 E Deluxe, 80G WD SATA HDD, Lite on DVD ROM, Pioneer 108 DVD dual layer +/-RW, 2*512Mb Lemel PC3200 RAM, Ti 4200 128Mb 8x AGP in a RITMO ATX case with 500w PS. Installed XP Pro Corp SP1 drivers 8 or 9 software programs and all went well and ran like a dream. Got my copy of SP2 ex M$ and the dream turned to a nightmare. After about an hour of doing the final tidying up of the system I got the infamous blue screen of death. Nothing I tried could get it back, SATA drive recognized in BIOS but nowhere else. Tried to do a clean install but wouldn't as no HDD found. I gave up after several late nights. I put in another new SATA drive and all went smooth(only difference was that I installed SP2 immediately after installing XP) and its still working 3 days later...although I must admit I haven't been using it much BECAUSE I installed the original SATA drive into another new system P4 3.0E CPU, ABIT AI-7, Liteon DVD ROM, NEC 3500 DVD dual layer +/- RW, 2*512Mb Kingston PC3200 RAM, GeForce FX5200 128Mb 8x AGP in a Gigatech ATX case with 450w PS. I still cannot get anything other than the Bios to recognize the SATA HDD. Tried to boot from the HDD initially but just blue screened as it did in the other system. Now the time to get to the set up screen with the windows XP install disk takes about 3 minutes then about the same to get to the message that couldn't find a HDD connected so install failed.
    After several(give or take 30) tries at reinstalling XP and getting the same message of no HDD found I have finally given up and will get a PATA drive to get me going and take the SATA drive to a tech if no one here has any ideas.
    Sorry for the wordy message but it should give you an idea of what I have done so far. I have tried all options suggested in previous threads on similar problems. Now I think I have exhausted all options other than asking here which I have been reluctant to do as it is not a completely new topic.
    Any help will be gratefully received. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!