1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SATA installation in XP = "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellyeah17, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellyeah17

hellyeah17 Thread Starter

I recently built a new PC, however I'm having a problem installing Windows XP onto my SATA drive. It works perfectly if I use an IDE, but this is what happens with SATA:

-Goes to the setup screen and puts on the necessary files.
    -Asks me to format.
    -Starts the 15 second restart timer, then restarts.
    -I change the boot order to HDD first.
    -It tells me "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" when it's supposed to continue with the installation.

I've tried the drivers that came with the motherboard and no-go. I've also tried with no drivers and it still gives me this error. One time, I believe it said something about "Boot", but it flashed on the screen too fast and restarted to see what it said.

EDIT: If I made a direct copy from an IDE drive onto this SATA one, is there a chance that might help? If there's a driver issue, it would have all the drivers needed on the Hard-Drive wouldn't it?

Motherboard: Asus A8N-VM CSM
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700 1MB L2 Cache
    Case + Power: Antec Sonata II 450w PSU
    RAM: Crucial Rendition 1GB PC3200 x 2
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATAII
    GPU: Radeon 9600 XT AGP

2. hellyeah17

hellyeah17 Thread Starter

Fixed it simply by making a clone of my IDE drive on my SATA drive :-].

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/457962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice