1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sata2 drive won't boot unless IDE drive also connected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wingsnwheels, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wingsnwheels

wingsnwheels Thread Starter

I have a new Seagate Barracuda 500gb Sata2 drive. It has XP Home (SP2) installed. It boots and runs well as long as my old IDE drive is connected.
    In bios, with the IDE drive connected, both drives show correctly and I can set either as boot device.
    With the IDE drive disconnected the SATA2 drive doesn't show in the HDD section on the boot menu setup. However if I press F11 at start of boot I get the chance to select the SATA2 drive and can boot from this.
    I had bios 2.10 and have updated to 2.30 (the latest). Bios is set for SATA2 (non Raid) with normal SATA driving. Latest SATA2 drivers installed.
    Any ideas gratefully accepted.
    Thanks, Tony :confused:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    ASRock 939 DUAL SATA
    1024mb RAM PC3200
    XP Home (SP2)
    Seagate Barracuda SATA2 500gb
    Western Digital 250gb IDE
    Nvidia 8500gt

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Easiest way out of that issue is to reinstall XP with the old drive disconnected . . as it is now, your boot sector is on the IDE drive.

3. wingsnwheels

Thanks Simpswr. Someone said that as my bios was listing the drive as SCSI I needed to change an entry in boot.ini from (multi) to (scsi). I tried it and it didn't work. However when I returned boot.ini to original the drive started booting. However it hangs at various points during startup but boots successfully about every third time. But at least progress is being made.

4. wingsnwheels

It was a faulty iLink cable on a Sony external DVD drive. I replaced the cable and the HDD now boots first time every time. I can only assume that the system was struggling to recognise the drive. Thanks for the help. Tony

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice