1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Save on Excel 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Gwhadu, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gwhadu

Gwhadu Thread Starter

Hallo,
    I use Excel 2003 Pro on a PC with Windows XP SP3.
    Since two weeks I have this problem: I open a saved xls file or I start with a new file, I modify it and when I try to save it (both using File -> Save or clicking the icon) Excel opens the classic save as window and it asks me where to save the file, and it proposes the old name of the file followed by the number 1.
    I have to find out the place where the original file is, change the name and answer "yes" to the classic question "Do you want to replace it?"...
    May somebody help me?
    Thanks a lot.

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi Gwhadu, welcome to TSG.
    If you hold down shift when you open your file and then hit save, does it still bring you to the save as dialog box? I'm wondering if it's a problem with a macro.

3. Gwhadu

Gwhadu Thread Starter

Thank you for your help.
    I tried with shift key as you suggest but I got the same problem.
    I realize that if I go to control panel-folder options-file type-xls, I select "Open" command and click on Edit I find this ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /n /dde %1". Is it correct in your opinion? And I realize also that if I click to open an existing file Excel immediately opens that file but already with the new name [i.e. name + 1.xls].
    May you understand why????

4. WendyM

Sounds like you may need to re-register Excel if it's adding the number when you open it. Try this and let us know what happens:

Close Excel
    Press Windows Start Button + R to open a run dialog
    Type excel /unregserver
    Press Windows Start Button + R to open the run dialog again
    Type excel /regserver

5. Gwhadu

Gwhadu Thread Starter

WendyM ....You are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you come here, in Florence, Italy, there's an enormous beaf-steak waiting for you! And a special bottle of Chianti wine!!!!!
    Thanks a lot!!!!

6. WendyM

Throw in a plane ticket and then we'll be talking! :p

Glad it worked. (y) You can mark this thread as solved using the Solved button at the top.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice