1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Saving a Word document one on a floppy and two on the C drive??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by computer_pet, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Hi,

Is it possible that when you save in Word (2000) it makes a backup copy on the C:?? I save all my work on a Floppy disk then put in my computer with printer (then print it). However recently my disk drive has been playing up and have lost everything on the disk.

So when I save something on a floppy it also creates a backup on the computers hard drive. (Saves file on Floppy A:\letter.doc and creates a backup on hard drive c:\backups\letter.bac)

I know you can create backups on word except it saves them in the same directory (in this case a:\ which is pointless since I lose all data on the disk)

Anyone tell me if i can do this?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    1. Get yourself a new Gmail account. You can buy them on eBay for next to nothing.
    2. Email the documents to yourself instead of backing up to floppy. It's SAFER.
    3. Get rid of the floppies; it's a terrible habit that will only continue to bring you heartache.
    4. If you want a macro that automatically sends a copy of your file to your gmail account, I'll do that. :) Sorry, I cannot help you create a macro to save to a floppy 'cause I would NEVER want ANYONE to do that and believe that they're "backing up their files".

Side Q: No. The only way to include a non *web-safe font* on a web page is to put it into a graphic. I think that's what you mean?

Let me know if you want help with that web of yours.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    PS: I've got some great graphic programs...what font is it?

4. computer_pet

Can you create a marco to save to a location C:\word backups\ ? The Laptop I use does not have access to my network/internet. So If I want to print I have to put it on a Floppy and print on another computer. I agree floppys are terrible it's just that the only thing I can use.

So when I do save on a floppy is there some way it automatically creates a backup/copy on the C:\? I do not know what you mean by marco, but if can do what I want can you make one for me ?? :)

Thanks

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ok. I got somebody working on it. We'll save an ADDITIONAL copy (of any file you save to the C drive) over to your floppy drive, with the SAME name.

It's prolly the only good reason I've ever heard to use a floppy.

You shouldn't have to do anything special. You'll just be able to save the file, and voila...an additional copy will be on the floppy for ya.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    And why isn't your web up yet? No excuses!!

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Okay, guy. You asked for it. So now you have to be my guinea pig. AND...it's rated "HARD", and we don't get many of them. BUT, you're supposed to be able to follow the directions and have it work:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=203

LET ME KNOW if you can't get it to work.
    Also, just so you know, HARD means that it's time-consuming more so than difficult to implement. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I did not test. You're going to do that for us. LOL :)

8. computer_pet

Problem, Step three on the instructions say to select Normal.dot except i do not have that as a option in the VBE tree?.

I opened word, went Alt F11, except could not find "Normal.dot" this is a view of the tree structure i have:

- Normal
    ....... - Microsoft Word Objects
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,:. ThisDocument
    - Project (Document1)
    ....... - Microsoft Word Objects
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,:. ThisDocument
    ....... - References
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,:. Reference to Normal

What should I do?

Thanks in Advance

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    First, if you want to be a real techie, then you have to set Windows to properly show your file extensions:

Open Windows Explorer
    Hit Tools-Folder options, View tab.
    Make sure your settings are such that you ARE viewing file extensions...

Then look again. :)

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    By the way. I didn't realize your "side question" was part of your signature. Others might not either...

11. computer_pet

That did not change anything, the tree looks the same as what I posted. I am using Word 2002. :)

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    My apologies!!
    (Dang)

It's NORMAL, not NORMAL.DOT

13. computer_pet

I put in the code into the write places, except where do you put all of the code? is says to put in into Normal.dot (Normal) but the only thing I have ThisDocument. I followed the what to do steps, but it has change nothing, when I save no dialog box asks if I want to save on the floppy.

14. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't mean to be rude, but the instructions seem clear to me. I know there are times when I *just can't get* something and need a second set of eyes. Have you tried to have someone help you with it?

Also....better make sure you have Macro security set to low or medium...

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ok. I've had more time to check it out. That code was tested in 2002 and works in 2002. But it didn't work in 2000.

I've sent a note to the coder. Let's see if we can get it to work in 2000 for ya.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice