1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Saving and Transferring Windows Citation Database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by zzoliche, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zzoliche

zzoliche Thread Starter

I'm switching computers from a Lenove running Vista to an Acer running Windows 7. I do a lot of academic work and so have hundreds of citations saved into the Word reference database. Does anybody know how I can save those from the Vista and paste them into the 7. I'm using Office 2007 Enterprise Plus. Of course I'm looking to maintain full automated functioning, so it's a matter not of just saving the info, but as properly assigned to the data entry fields. Thank you.

2. marksm

marksm

Well you have many options to transfer data from one PC to another PC e.g Copy data in hard drive (USB Flash), transfer data through networking between two computer etc

3. zzoliche

zzoliche Thread Starter

Yes, I know how to move data from one computer to another. My difficulty is knowing where to find the data in the citation database and how to download it, say to an USB stick, ensuring that all fields are maintained, and then where and how to put it into the citation database of the new computer's version of Word. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Thanks for the effort, though.

4. Rockn

Rockn

I do not think this is a word database as Microsoft does not have a "citation database". Just googling it looks like it may be a filemaker or other external database. Word in and of itself is not a database so if all you need to do is transfer word docs from one computer to another that is all there is to it. If you do not know how the system works or how to backup and transfer the data I am not sure how much help we can be.
    What version of Word are you going to be going from and to? Major upgrades can mangle documents especially if there is data mapped to it.

5. zzoliche

zzoliche Thread Starter

If anyone ever has the same problem, I found the solution. And it is, of course, once you know, stupidly easy. Go to References, select Manage Sources, then hit Browse. A window will open; in that window is an XML document called Sources. That's the document you want to save and paste back into the same place in Word on the new computer. Like most computer things, it seems. So simple once you know it.

Have fun.

6. marksm

marksm

AoA... That's great. So simple and easy. Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice