1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Saving file to USB device failure

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by RogerFrance79, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RogerFrance79

RogerFrance79 Thread Starter

Recently purchased a laptop and wanted to copy Opera bookmarks from desktop pc to laptop. Inserted a USB key and exported Bookmarks. Now getting a message "Saving Failed; Could not save file; G:\Opera Bookmarks.adr ; Try Again?; Yes/No buttons"

I can save this file to desktop pc without problem. The file appears on the USB key when I check the contents but has deleted the Bookmarks from Opera; I have to import these each time I use Opera. I have checked out the USB device for errors and it is ok. I have even re-installed Opera to no avail.

The problem is that this message continually pops up.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I should proceed?

2. moper

moper

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is the only file you can't copy to the USB drive your Opera bookmarks? Can you copy any files to it? Create files on it?

4. RogerFrance79

No problems encountered in copying other files to the USB drive nor in creating a file directly on the drive.

5. RogerFrance79

Have just renamed the Opera file as suggested by Moper; Operadef6.ini in my version; and this appears to have cured the problem.

Many thanks for your assistance Guys.

6. RogerFrance79

Oooops sorry Guys but unfortunately my problem continues. I had the USB drive inserted in the machine to ensure that I could copy and create new on this drive. I then renamed the .ini file and , restarted Opera and all appeared opk. However after removal fo the USB drive the problem recommenced.

Any further thoughts????

7. moper

moper

It sounds like Opera is trying to use the bookmarks on the USB drive.

I found that in 'Manage Bookmarks, if you click 'File', 'Open', and select a bookmark file(.adr) from some location, Opera will continue to use this file as the default.
    Did you happen to do that?

To restore the default location: In the address bar, type:opera:config. Scroll to 'User Prefs'. In User Prefs, scroll to 'Hot List File Ver 2'. Click the default button and scroll down and click 'Save'. Make sure your bookmark file is still in the default location. In XP, it is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Opera\Opera. The file is in the newest version called, bookmarks.adr.

There have been name changes in the newer versions:http://www.opera.com/docs/operafiles/

moper

8. RogerFrance79

Hi Moper,

Have just run through your instructions and did indeed find that the default location had somehow changed to my USB Drive on G: I have changed this as per your perfect instructions and all appears to be ok. My deepest thanks for your assistance in this matter. I love Opera but it was really beginning to bug me every time I got the pop-up.

Thanks again and hopefully I shall be able to close the thread.:)

Roger

9. moper

moper

Any other problems, you might just want to uninstall and install the latest version. "Operadef6.ini ", indicates that you have an older version.

Remember, just use the 'import' and 'export' functions. 'Open' tells Opera to use this file from now on. You can also 'Export as HTML'. Any browser should be able to import this.

You can mark this thread as Solved, if everything is working OK.

moper

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice