Solved: SBA No Audio Output?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carrothersju

Hey guys, just reformatted. This should be a joyous occasion, but it's not.

Post reformatting, I installed my with-the-computer drivers for my Sound Blaster Audigy card. The CD installed all the drivers and programs it needed to, asked for the typical restart, and that worked ok.

Well, now, there's no audio coming out at all! I tried using Media Player 10 to play a song, nothing. Same goes for iTunes. I double checked to make sure that digital only playback was not enabled.

Any ideas?

You know the Drill..check Device Mgr for your Sound Device(s)...what does it say?

carrothersju

The device manager says nothing has a mighty yellow exclamation. Everything LOOKS like it's in working order driver-wise in the device manager. I've installed and reinstalled the drivers entirely a couple times, and each time, sure enough, the computer detects a "Newly Connected Hardware" of a PCI card and a MultiMedia Audio Device. I think the problem lies not that the drivers are incorrect, they're just not making anything work.

I've made sure the speakers are plugged in, all the sound cords are plugged in tight. Every time, I make sure that digital only output is turned off (otherwise no sound would play).

I ran the troubleshooter, and I'm not even getting system sounds (this isn't just a problem of not being able to play CDs, etc).

So I'm thinking maybe it'll work to try and remove the sound card entirely, uninstall all the audio drivers, etc. Then, after plugging it into a new PCI slot, I'll just reinstall the drivers again. Would this help anything?

carrothersju

Oh yeah, tried that, and I think that's what screwed things up. I've always just done a driver install off of my factory CD, and that worked every other time. This time, I couldn't find the CD until after I downloaded new drivers from their site. I think the problem might lie in the fact that my system could think I have more than one sound card attached or something what with the installation of more than one set of drivers. I don't have onboard sound or anything, so I know that's not the problem.

Uninstall all drivers and traces of the sound card from device manager, shut down machine,

Remove the card and try another pci slot if possible,(oh you might as well give it a cleaning while doing this)

also double check all audio connection's .

When yer done, install the drivers that came on the Creative disk.
And see if it work's.

carrothersju said:
The device manager says nothing has a mighty yellow exclamation. Everything LOOKS like it's in working order driver-wise in the device manager. I've installed and reinstalled the drivers entirely a couple times, and each time, sure enough, the computer detects a "Newly Connected Hardware" of a PCI card and a MultiMedia Audio Device. I think the problem lies not that the drivers are incorrect, they're just not making anything work.

I've made sure the speakers are plugged in, all the sound cords are plugged in tight. Every time, I make sure that digital only output is turned off (otherwise no sound would play).

I ran the troubleshooter, and I'm not even getting system sounds (this isn't just a problem of not being able to play CDs, etc).

So I'm thinking maybe it'll work to try and remove the sound card entirely, uninstall all the audio drivers, etc. Then, after plugging it into a new PCI slot, I'll just reinstall the drivers again. Would this help anything?

That should do the trick! (y)
Oh ! what mainboard do you have?

carrothersju

I'm using a GIGABYTE mobo that uses an AMD Athlon XP 2100+. The two have worked in sync for as long as I've had it built. I'm pretty sure that the two get along just fine in terms of compatability.

carrothersju

Don't know exactly what MOBO it is from Gigabyte. (I'm at work now, and not with the troublesome sound card). I know that my MOBO is blue, and has a Socket A processor. I'm 100% positive that there is no onboard sound or video.

carrothersju

Alright, so I've isolated the problem. I've got the card installed, drivers installed too. Now, when I use the EAX control panel that came with my sound card, sounds play in that OK. But iTunes and Windows Media Player STILL cannot play any sort of music or anything. Now what to do?

carrothersju

Aha, I've furter deduced the problem! It plays MIDIs OK, but refuses to play MP3 or any other format of sound.

carrothersju

Fixed the problem! I just switched the default audio playback device to my soundcard, and that worked! For future reference, I did this under the Control Panel -> Sounds -> and then Audio Tab. I switched the top option, playback.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online