1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SBS 2000 to Server 2012 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by psustephie, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psustephie

psustephie Thread Starter

No, seriously.

My office may be the last in the country to still be using Small Business Server 2000. We are reluctantly retiring Old Faithful (probably days before the entire system crashes) and are preparing to enter the new millenium.

We purchased a new Dell T320 server with Server 2012 Essentials installed. Essentials seems like the perfect fit for our small office (8 workstations and a handful of printers). I have enough IT knowledge to be dangerous, so I appreciated how easy the migration sounds.

Microsoft has the nifty-sounding Migration Preparation Tool that I would theoretically install on the source server to make migration even easier. The obvious problem is that the oldest system this is offered for is Server 2003. Unfortunately for me.

Will I be able to use the migration feature on the 2012 server to transfer everything from the old one? Or am I out of luck and need need to set up the 2012 server from scratch and then just import the data files when I'm done?

2. srhoades

srhoades

For 8 workstations I would just scratch the old domain and create a new one. You will have to dis-join all the workstations from the old domain and join them to the new and them move the domain profiles, but I think it would be less of a headache than trying to migrate, which I do not think is supported anyways. To truly migrate you would need to migrate to 2003, and then to 2012. Not worth the time in my opinion.

3. psustephie

psustephie Thread Starter

Makes sense to me....thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice