1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Scan directly to Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by robpopper, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

I'm finally getting rid of a loose leaf address book and wonder whether is a program or method to enable me to scan the listings directly into my Contacts in Outlook 2003. Any thought on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Running Win XP -Pro / Sp3 & MS Office 2003.

2. bkmgy

bkmgy

Check for the software that comes along with your scanner. It should have an option to read business cards and save them or sync to Outlook. Most card scanners (hardware) have that facility.

Even some mobile phones have the option to capture the business card and save as Contacts.

If you have a regular flatbed scanner then scan the sheets and use a business card scanner software to import to Outlook. If your address book sheet is not in business card format, then best way is to scan it and use OCR option in your scanner software and manually copy/paste the text into Outlook Contacts.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no text in scanned documents that can be copied or pasted. It is an image.

OCR software is the only possibility, and not a very sure one, either. You may end up wasting a lot of time and then typing them in manually, anyway.

4. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help. I should have realized that the scan is a image file and that there is no text in it. Can anyone suggest a low priced OCR program that could help with this project? (I do have an HP all in one but it did not come with OCR software.

5. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Look at the software that came with your scanner, ALL of them provide a OCR program.

As for a free one, just do a google on "Free OCR" and see what hits you get.

BUT, when it comes to OCR programs you get what you pay for. I use OmniPage which is NOT cheap.

6. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

I'm thinking that it will probably be easier to bite the bullet and just type in the information. Thanks once again for the replies and help.

7. bkmgy

bkmgy

8. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

bkmgy, I didn't see a listing for the software to convert from a jpg file. Am I missing something?

9. robpopper

robpopper Thread Starter

whoops, looking at it closer it does accept a psd file. I will try it. Thanks for the heads up.

10. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

From the lionk above

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065602