1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Scan Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by **__**, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

When I try to scan my computer with scan disk, once scan disk starts, in a couple of seconds it says that it's complete. Before when I used to scan my computer, it used to say which part it is currently scanning and it shows the pecentage.

How do I fix this problem???????

Win XP Pro

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Try doing it in Safe Mode ......

3. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

It says first that scan disk was schedualed by windows. Then it says That it was cancelled. Then it sayes that it was finished. How do I fix this problem???????

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

To run ScanDisk with Windows XP
    Click Start, and then double-click My Computer.
    Right-click the drive that you want to check. (For example click C:.)
    Click Properties.
    On the Tools tab, under Error Checking, click Check Now.
    Click Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
    Click Start.
    At the next prompt, click Yes.
    Restart the computer. The disk scan will happen as the computer starts up.

5. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

That's the problem, When the computer restarts and Scan Disk starts the it says that it was cancelled. How do I fix this problem??????

6. bradly

bradly

I had this same problem...

The culprit was zone alarm. If you have it, uninstall it and see if the scandisk starts, then cancels, on pre-bootup.

7. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

Yah I do have Zone Alarm. But I want scan disk to work and I want to have A FireWall Software. What should I do?????

8. bradly

bradly

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Disconnect from the internet, shut down Zone Alarm, and then run scan disk.

10. John Burns

John Burns

I am interested in your comment about switching from ZA to Sygate, bradley. I had a problem with ZoneAlarm and Yahoo Messenger WebCam SuperMode. As long as ZA was connected, my SuperMode would not work - when ZA was disabled and Microsoft Firewall was enabled, Supermode would work. So, I finally ended up uninstalling ZA and enabling MS Firewall, even tho I know MS firewall doesn't check outgoing traffic. I have two computers both with Windows XP SP2 on a wireless home network, using a Linksys Router, which also has a built-in firewall. I am not certain - are you suggesting Sygate AND the router firewall - or just at least ONE of them? If Sygate Firewall would allow me to use Yahoo Messenger WebCam Supermode, I would go ahead and install it on the computers. Thanks.

11. bradly

bradly

I personally only use my linksys router's firewall, and no other software firewall. However, it wouldn't hurt to use both the software and hardware firewall... it sounds as if Zone Alarm was just blocking the webcam supermode, or the port it was using. It may be fixable by entering the advanced setup of zone alarm... but then again, sometimes these software firewalls can cause problems on your system.... in the case of check disk being cancelled.
    So yes, i would try Sygate and your router firewall, and see if the webcam works.

12. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

Could I use Sygate Firewall and Microsoft Internet Connection Firewall too at the same time???

13. John Burns

John Burns

No - that is not a good idea. They do not recommend running two firewalls at the same time.

14. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

Which one is better?

15. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice