1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Scandisk and Windows ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bilnrobn, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Can anyone help me with this? When I try to do a full scan, (ie select "thorough") using Scandisk I find that Scandisk keeps restarting. This is obviously because something is running in the background, but I can't work out what it is. I have changed all the powersaving options to "never" and have disconnected the screen saver and I have used Ctrl/Alt/Delete to shut down everything except Explorer and Systray. BUT IT STILL DOES IT!
    What can I do to get Scandisk to successfully do a thorough search!:confused:

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi bilnrobn

Try disableing your anti-virus

steam

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!:D

4. Moby

Moby

and do it in safe mode.

5. steamwiz

steamwiz

Select option: Safe mode at command prompt
    At the command prompt type: scandisk /all or scandisk /all /surface
    The scan disk should begin running. If scandisk detects a disk error select the option to fix it.

6. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks guys!

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I would not recommend just blindly allowing Scandisk to fix EVERY error that it finds. This can/will result in data corruption.

Errors on a disk should be the exception and each one should be reviewed carefully to determine the correct action.

This site gives a good explanation of the errors and why you should not allow scandisk to automatically correct errors.

This is the MS generic description of the errors.

8. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Whitphil. actually I don't expect there are any errors, but I would like to run it about once every month or so to check. Thanks for the links... hope I don't need them!

9. steamwiz

steamwiz

WhitPhil

I've always let scandisk fix errors automatically and have often got the "scandisk found errors and fixed them all" message

In 5 years it has never caused me a problem - however I have just looked at the link you posted and it was certainly an eye-opener - I suppose I've been lucky

steam

10. WhitPhil

steamwiz:
    In the majority of cases, (like 999/1000), allowing scandisk to fix errors will be ok.
    BUT, that one time could really be devasting.

You will frequently see posts from people indicating that all their files have been turned into DIRxxxx directories, or that folders has disappeared. Or files have been corrupted.

Scandisk is the culpit. Files on their own do that just "get corrupted". If they are sitting on a bad area of the disk, that will ultimately become a bad sector, yes. But on a good portion, no.

Also, note from the link the fact that the scandisk.ini file automatically fixes errors. This is the file used by scandisk after a bad shutdown.

As well, some of the default running parameters are not good, such as deleting (or creating copies) crosslinked files. These should not occur very often, but deleting means valid files no longer exist, and making copies, guarantees that one of the files is now corrupted.

11. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Hey guys, I tried running Scandisk again when I got offline and still had the same problems. This time I disabled the virus protection, so it isn't that. Here is the strange thing... I have set the computer to make a click sound when a program opens or closes, so I can tell if something is happening in the background. Well I left the computer with just the desktop showing for quite a while and it didn't click once. Then I ran scandisk and everytime it restarted there was a double click, (something opening and closing I imagine), but it only happens when Scandisk restarts. Maybe the restarting of the scandisk process made the click? In that case why did it restart? I am confused!:confused:

12. WhitPhil

Are you in Safe mode or normal mode when you are getting the restarts?
    If Normal, try safe mode.

One of the progams that is in your startups is most likely causing the restarts. You can poke through Msconfig > Startup tab and see if you can find it, or download and run Startuplist and copy/paste the contents of the file it creates, back here.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/startuplist.zip

13. Del

Del

I have ME also, and the only way I have been able to get scandisk or defrag to run was in Safe Mode.

14. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thank you all. I haven't been using safe mode, but it sounds like that is the answer.

15. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    It worked! To run Scandisk in "thorough" mode with Windows ME start the computer in safe mode and then run scandisk. A "thorough" mode run takes quite a while, but it will do it without problems if the computer is in safe mode. (You don't need to do this if you just want to do the much shorter file only scan.)
    Thanks to everyone who helped solve this problem!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice