1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Scanjet 3200C gives Fatal Exception error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bobc, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobc

bobc Thread Starter

I am using a HP Scanjet 3200C flatbed scanner with a HP Pavilion computer running Win98.
    Recently, the image quality from the scanner "suddenly" reduced. There was no change in settings, no change in software, and no visible change in the operation of the scanner - just a sudden reduction in scan quality.
    An appeal for help to the Hewlett Packerd Email Support resulted in the advice to remove the software and reinstall it again. The removal instructions were as follows:

Step 1: Disconnect the scanner from the computer system

1. Shut down the computer system.
    2. Disconnect the scanners power cable.
    3. Disconnect the interface cable (USB, parallel, or SCSI).
    4. Turn on the computer system.

Step 2: Uninstall the HP scanning software

1. Click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel (In Windows
    XP,
    click Start, then Control Panel) to open the Windows Control
    Panel.
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    3. Select HP scanning software from the list of installed
    programs,and click Add/Remove.
    4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to
    uninstall the drivers.

Step 3: Delete all of the remaining files installed by the HP scanning software

1. Double-click the My Computer icon, click View, Folder
    Options, and View. Place a dot in front of Show All Files and remove
    the checkmark in front of Hide File Extensions for Known File Types. Click Apply and OK. Close window.

2. Go to Start, Find/Search, Files and Folders. Type the names
    listed below in the Named line and C:\ in the Look In line, then
    click Find and Search:
    a. hpsc*.* then click Edit, Select All and delete them.
    b. Scanjet*.* click Edit, Select All and delete them.
    c. *.tmp click Edit, Select All and delete them.
    d. hpsjbmgr*, delete
    e. hpsjclas.dll, delete
    f. hpsj1695.dll, delete
    g. hpsj32.dll, delete
    h. hpppt*.*, delete
    i. Precisionscan, delete

3. Close the File Search window to return to the Desktop.
    4. On the Desktop, double-click the Recycle Bin icon.
    5. Click File, then click Empty Recycle Bin.

Step 4: Install the HP scanning software

1. Insert the HP scanning software installation CD into the CD-ROM drive. The Installer should automatically start. If the Installer does not start, click Start, then Run. In the Open box,
    type D:\setup.exe (where D is the letter of the CD-ROM drive).
    2. Follow the instructions on the computer screen to install
    the HP scanning software.
    3. Once the HP Scanjet scanning software has been completely installed, turn the computer completely off following your shutdown procedures.
    4. Connect the interface cables between the computer and the scanner, then attach the scanners power cord to an electrical outlet.
    5. Restart the computer with the scanner power on. A New Hardware prompt will appear during the restart and install the necessary drivers.

All of this I religiously followed. The final prompt from the installation procedure was to restart the computer. This should have resulted in step 5 - the prompt for the driver installation. This did not happen - instead I got the fatal error message "FATAL EXCEPTION 0D at 04BF:00000316" after which the computer would only start in Safe Mode. The scanner would run in safe mode (but with atrocious quality scans), but the computer would not start in normal mode.

HP's subsequent advice was to direct me to:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpy40169
    which turned out to relate to a PHS Photosmart Scanner and the file that was mentioned in this advice (VHPSCAND.VXD) did not exist on my PC in any event. In short, the advice was pointless.

HP's subsequent advice was:
    * Power On the computer.
    * Press F8 key,
    * Choose Normal mode from the list displayed.
    As you might expect, all this did was to precipitate another failure to start.

HP's subsequent advice was:
    1. Click Start, then Run. The Run window will open.
    2. In the Open field, type: MSCONFIG
    3. Click OK.
    4. Click the Advanced button and check Enable Startup Menu, and then
    click OK to close the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings window.
    5. Click OK and then click Yes to restart the computer system.
    6. Using the keypad on the keyboard, select Normal Mode and press
    ENTER.
    The computer system will restart in Normal Mode.
    As you might expect again, all this did was to precipitate yet another failure to start with the same old Fatal Exception message.

I get the feeling that HP don't know what they are talking about. To my uneducated mind, the problem appears to be a driver problem (i.e. they haven't loaded and windows can't find them), but HP seem to be stuck on the startup menu.
    I badly need to get my computer back in working order, without the scanner if necessary. I have little confidence in getting a solution from HP. Can anyone advise please, either on the original problem or just how to get back to a working PC without the scanner?

P.S. The reinstallation included Adobe Photodeluxe 2 software and Adobe fonts (in case that is part of the problem).

2. bobc

bobc Thread Starter

Solution to the FATAL EXCEPTION 0D at 04BF:00000316 problem was to remove all of the Adobe Photodeluxe software and Adobe fonts. Which of these posed the problem, I don't know, but removal of both cleared the problem. Subsequent re-installation of the Scanner software. WITHOUT the Adobe photodeluxe element, brought the scanner back into play. Its worth noting that the OS might not recognise the scanner. In my case, this was due to the downline printer. Solution was to disconnect the printer and reboot with only the scanner connected to the lpt1 port. Then reconnect the printer after a successful run of the scanning software. No thanks to the HP helpline. Still no improvement in scan quality, so if anyone has any ideas about that, I'd be grateful. Otherwise its going into the bin.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice