1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: scanner for 35mm slides

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by etaf, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    Looking for a windows 7 compatible 35mm slide scanner
    friend wants to scan 1000-2000 slides and looking to buy a scanner as to get them done is around a £1 a shot in UK locally

any suggestions for a decent scanner - resolution to print up to about A4 10x8 size

USB2
    windows 7
    laptop

2. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

etaf,
    there are a couple ways of looking at this situation - MONEY versus TIME -
    1. if you buy a DEDICATED 35 mm scanner, MOST of those have an auto-feed that you can then load the magazine up, go do something else while it does it's thing and just come back occasionally to reload the magazine

2. with the flat-bed units which are CONSIDERABLY less $$$$, by a long shot!!!, then you are going to be spending a whole lot of TIME sitting there reloading the scanner :mad: 'cause there really isn't time enough to leave to do anything else - you have to sit there to click the buttons, or it just waits for you :D

we first made choice #2, an epson 4490, actually was VERY pleased with the results, contrary to what i have read on-line of some people expressing dis-satisfaction with their choices, though i never read any that were using the epson scanners
    do be careful of your purchase in this respect as the manufactures changed the technology used in manufacturing, right after we aquired our unit - so maybe that is also what many people had their problems with, so....

3. you can also buy / build an adapter for a digital camera - this is probably the BEST choice of all, ESPECIALLY if you already have a good quality dslr camera - again though, TIME is a factor here, i never really 'engineered' an auto feed mechanism for the one i made PJ to use with her fuji - that was economically feasable - i could dream up plenty of BIG ideas, but $$$....

you might also consider what we also ended up with - did buy a nikon dedicated scanner - aquired it 'used' from craigslist - was almost a new unit, we only paid a fraction of it's new cost - previous owner had a large number of slides to scan - bought the scanner, did their thing - then sold it to recoup some of the cost when they were finished....

really can't recommend any of the dedicated units in particular, will say we have been VERY happy with the results of the nikon super coolscan 8000 ed we aquired

depending what she wants to accomplish is the choice she makes upon the time frame involved - for the ability to make LARGE reproductions - the nikon is good - so is the adapter i made her

hope some of that helped you to make a choice....

good site for some reviews here:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN1.HTM

3. etaf

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for the reply,

time is not a problem for my friend ... but the connection is as the laptop only has USB and not firewire - i will need to see if it even has an express card slot - I dont think there are any expansion slots on the laptop - I had a nikon ls3 and found it useful - but that needs a scsi connection , so i know a little about scanners - but need to know whats recommened on the market place now for USB connection

i'll look at the website and see the reviews

also no DLSR to make the copy - in fact i used to have one of these copiers on a canon eos fit - i will have to see if its in the loft , but as i say no dslr to use that facility

just a samsung laptop

thanks for the reply

i had alook art that site and found this device
    http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V500-Photo/Tech-Specs
    which may do the job and is not to high a price

i'll look at some reviews

4. etaf

First Name:
    Wayne
    hes decided to have them scanned commercially - at 30p a slide

thanks for every ones help and advice

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice