1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Scanning, resizing & printing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by nickdiamand, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickdiamand

nickdiamand Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a little confused about the captioned. I'm about to scan (Canoscan 5600F) some slides & negatives, of which I also have a 8.5 x 11 enlargement. I then intend to destroy both the slides/negatives & the enlargement.
    My first question is would it be better to scan the slide/negative as it is the original?
    The scanner defaults to a 1200 dpi resolution for slides/negs (& 300 dpi for full platen) & my printer has a 600dpi capacity.
    Typically, I would resize the scanned slide/neg image to take up less space ie 1024 x 768 or a "large document" vs original size of 1084 x 1616. My concern is I will lose resolution if I resize & will have no option to rescan once originals destroyed.
    Sorry, if I sound kinda dumb about this but I don't want to blow it.
    I have a bunch of other slides that are just for o/l viewing but these ones are my favourites & I want to get it right in case I want to reproduce on paper.
    Thanks for any clarity you can provide, Nick.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If you enlarge a 1200 dpi scan to twice the physical size .. It will have 600 dpi resolution ...
    4 times will be 300dpi .. etc ...
    The best you'll ever have is the original .. You can always downsize .. but not upsize.
    Not sure if this answers your question ??

3. wowzer

wowzer

Don't do it. you will regret it at some point.
    I don't know of a printer/print that benefits from 300dpi or greater. my epson 7800 seems optimum at 240

scan the originals at what ever you want. then save them in a lossless format, resize/edit in the program of your choice using a dpi between 240 and 300 and print from that.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Questions ..
    How big in inches is the viewable size of the slide ??
    How big do you think you'll want to print them .. in inches ??
    And what Image viewing/editing software will you be using ??

That's what I was thinking :D

5. nickdiamand

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    It sorta depends on the final output size.
    If I'd scan the 8.5x11 .. I'd probably can it at 600dpi.
    This is twice as good as I'd need .. But I may be editing it.
    The output that I'd hope to end up with would be 300dpi or better at an 8.5x11 print.

A Small Side will need to be scanned at the highest setting you have ..
    because you'll probably be enlarging it.

7. nickdiamand

Sounds like since I have an enlargement of all the slides/negs I want to digitize, it would make more sense to scan the enlargement. As you say, I can always downsize but not the reverse. Still not sure about the storage though. I assume, if I resize the scanned image to something smaller for storage, then I lose out if I want to reproduce an enlargement the size of the original. Is that right? Thanks.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Let's think about the term ... DPI = dots per inch.
    If your slide is 1 inch and you scan it at 1200 DPI .. Then you could print it at 4 inches and you'd have a 300DPI resolution.
    Where 300dpi is usually considered the Best Print quality.

I've always wondered about slides .. If the enlargements you have were optically enlarged ..
    Then they may be better than what you can scan.
    I'd have to play with both procedures to see.

You always want to save the best you have .. you never know what you may want them for next.
    DPI is like money .. Once spent, you can't get it back.
    The more you save .. The bigger the bank you'll need to save it in.

9. nickdiamand

Yes, I agree, I think I will play a bit & see what the end results look like. Thank you very much for your patience & info.
    Nick.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I played with a view point slide scanner once .. The owner couldn't get the software to work.
    I got it working ... (I think) .. But results I got with the test slides he gave me were terrible.
    I have Photoshop .. And they were beyond repair .. Or at least what I would have liked.

You've got me curious .. I'd like to see one of your slides that you scan....
    Can I Play too ???

If the file size is too big to attach here .. 300KB ... I can send you a private message with my Email address.

11. bp936

bp936

scan at the highest possible resolution, it should not matter how big the file will be, now that USB 1TB backup drives are available. I have thousand of pictures on a very small harddrive, and I always back them up to an external.
    As Nyob says, you might want to work on them, then it is easier to correct anything if there are more dpi.
    But drives, CDs. DVDs won't last forever, I found out, that my CD;s from an old computer, no program can read it any longer and I forgot, what burned them.
    So the best is also keep important original files.

I heard, scanning negatives does not produce any quality pictures, unless your scanner costs thousand of Dollars. I tried scanning on a regular Canon and it was unuseable.
    I would take negatives to a professional with excellent equipment.

12. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Regarding storage, note that you can use file compression software for archiving images stored in lossless formats. I'd rather do that than store them in a lossy format. I like Noyb's aphorism about DPI.

13. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Correct. (y)

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    How'd you get ... 4-Who Wears the Pants.jpg ... that you sent me ??? (1624x1092) ... That looks pretty good to me.
    I didn't think getting it from a slide would be that good.
    It only needed some minor adjusting .. IMHO
    Can I share the photo here ??

15. nickdiamand

Not sure what you mean when you ask "how'd I get". And sure, please share the photo - anything to help this old fart make sense of things!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice