Solved: Scannow - question about non available cd-rom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hakumaster

Hello,

Because of a suspicion of a corrupted file somewhere in my XP SP3 OS, I tried to execute a sfc /scannow operation. After the command was executed via run/cmd, everything started all right, the operation progress message box appeared, there was a very slow progress on the scale - then, after a long while, a dialog box appeared, saying some files had ineed been corrupted, and asking me to insert a cd-rom with SP3 in my cd-reader.

And there is the rub:mad:: I have no such cd-rom, since the SP3 update was done on-line and my original backup XP (Home Edition) goes way back to SP1.

I suspect that somewhere on my HD, there must be a backup of the whole SP3 caboodle (probably in CAB format) - but where could that folder be, and, more importantly, how do I re-direct that dialog box or whatever comes after, to that particular folder. Indeed, it keeps asking after that cd-rom, and has no provision to go look directly on the hd.

If such a folder (or cache, for that matter) does not exist, where can I get that cd-rom?

Thank you for answering theis quetion,

Hakumaster

hakumaster

Many thanks. Will try your suggestion. But I still have a faint suspicion that all necessary elements are situated somewhere on the HD: the original XP Windows files themselves, which are on the disk, were also installed on the computer; so I guess there must be somewhere a BU of the SP3 update. Hence my question: how to redirect the dialog towards that folder.

But why oh why must things be so complicated, when they could be so simple?

Regards,

Hakumaster

hakumaster

Manu thanks. But my problem is not that vast. I just want to know how to get a SP3 cd-rom, so that in case of of a scannow operation that would ask for it, I can feed that cd-rom in my computer - just in case.

When I have some time, I will try to do the slipstream suggested by Leroys1000.

If someone could come up with a still easier suggestion, I'd be most grateful.

Hakumaster

Next time just tell us that silly :)
you will save us lots of time researching how to fix your problem...

*We are all volunteers and we do this because it feels good to help someone rescue there PC.

Here is one you can DL and burn yourself:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en

You can order it from MS here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx

*and a bit more info for ya :)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...pell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=sp3+cd&spell=1

hakumaster

Many thanks to all!

Just burned the cd. Worked like a charm. Case closed.

Hakumaster

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online