1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: School wifi network troubles, no connection on some computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SES1234, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SES1234

SES1234 Thread Starter

Hey there!

Okay, so where i go to school there is about 1100 students and its in one large square block building and there is atleast 20-30 routers in the building.

When connecting to the internet in some parts of the building the internet is fine, like in most classrooms, but when in the (very big) hall, there seems to be little or no connection and my computer jumps on/off all the time, making it hard to study.. I have an Acer Aspire Timeline-X and i never have network problems apart from this.. my main concern was that it was that the routers' output is bad, but other computers (mainly MacBooks - about 40-50% at my school) have no problems at all gaining internet connection whether in the classrooms or in the hall.

Anyone have an explanation for this? and are there any ways or tweeks to gain or ensure a better connection or isolating a connection..

any help would be much appreciated! :)

- S.E.S.

2. valis

valis Moderator

heyya s.e.s, welcome to TSG. :)

Seeing how this is a school, chances are high we are not going to be able to do too many tweaks at all. Have you contacted the school's IT department yet?

3. SES1234

SES1234 Thread Starter

Thanks for such a fast answer. Well we have complained about the internet several times but i'm not sure if anyone has brought up the problem about some computers gaining connection and others not.. but anyone know what could be trickering this? is it simply the computers' hardware specs and software that makes them gain/not gain connection?

4. valis

valis Moderator

chances are it's bandwidth. There's only x amount of pipe to toss the data down, and if there are more users than bandwidth, things can get bogged down.

Again, unfortunately, there isn't going to be anything we can do here. The school runs their network as they see fit, and it's considered very bad taste for another networking person to come through afterwards and make changes.

thanks,

v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice