1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: scratched mobo circuitry

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scroff, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scroff

scroff Thread Starter

I have an Asus A8n SLI Deluxe. The chipset fan went bad so I had to change it. While taking out the old one I slipped off the peg and put a ding in the bottom of the mobo. :eek: It's not a major dig, but you can see copper if you look hard. I'd heard somewhere that you can cover something like this with nail polish... or did I just ruin the board?

Before I put the thing back together does anyone have any experience with this?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

3. scroff

scroff Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, StumpedTechy. I take it as a good sign that you didn't just tell me to throw it away...

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No need to throw away somethign that works... if it doesn't work and the traces are broke you probably will want to though unless you know someone who works on PCB's and can solder.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I've done this before with nail polish, it works fine. Pretty much anything that can protect the tracing from corroding can be used.

I use a conductive ink pen, bought from Radio Shack (approx $14), to rebuild broken traces on boards. In fact, I just fixed a broken Noritake 4X20 VFD last week with it. Soldering small traces on circuit boards is way to aggravating. The drawback to the conductive ink pens, is that you really have to shake them up before using them, and you may need several layers of "ink".

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

One more thing if its a multilayer PCB these "fixes" won't work if you have damaged something on the inside layers....

Just one last note to dash all your hopes of salvage :) just kidding of course hope it turns out well :)

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Motherboards have multiple "layers" of copper tracks within their thickness, there will be no way of knowing if an internal layer is damaged as you cannot see them all.

If it works its OK, if it fails or is unreliable, you know why. Its only then that its consigned to the bin.

8. scroff

scroff Thread Starter

Well, folks... thanks for all your replies... it's working! I don't know who designed that chipset fan, though... it's a piece of junk to start with, and the clips holding it in are enough to make a grown man cry!

Thanks again!

btw, used clear coat nail polish...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice