1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Screen Blanks after 1 Second

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gwaldeck, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gwaldeck

gwaldeck Thread Starter

Hello all -
    I have a screen that flashes for a second and then goes blank.
    I think it is because I just used Advanced System Care ver 5.0. I used all of the features of the product. One of the 'features' I selected was the 'speed up' of the boot process. I also used Registry repair, defrag, speed up, etc. Before I was able to check it out, I had to leave the computer on and depart the area for 2 hours. When I returned, the screen was blank.
    Nothing would get it on again, so I rebooted. Each boot screen displayed for 1 or 2 seconds and then the screen would go blank until the next screen was displayed. Ultimately, I got into the Windows XP sign on screen (again a 1 second view before blanking) and it stopped after that.
    By unplugging the video feed to the monitor, I was able to get the screen to display for a second. Ultimately, I could move the cursor to select my login icon before it would blank again and I was able to get the Windows desktop to load. I could see it for a second and then, it blanked again.
    I've been in touch with Iobit (manufacturer of ASC). They have focused on Windows as the culprit, but I think this is an error. Since it blanks after each screen from the basic boot sequence, I think it is at the machine level, not Windows.
    So, I tried to get to the Setup Screen by pressing 'DEL' or F8. The screen came up, but ... it blanked after a second. I was unable to do anything with it.
    Does anyone have any idea how to unblank the screen? Help!
    Thanks
    Gary

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Chances are that ASC has messed up your registry, but why did you feel the need to use it, were there any problems with Windows that prompted the need to run this software. If anything was slowing down your system it needs to be diagnosed and corrected manually not left to third party software, registry cleaners can do more harm than good and should be avoided.

You can start by using system restore.

Boot from the XP disc and select Recovery Console.

At the Command Prompt, type CD C:\ and press Enter, then type:
    C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter.
    Follow the instructions given to perform the System Restore process.
    If Windows is installed on a different drive to C: then replace C: with the correct drive letter in the commands above.

Let me know how this goes.

If the screen is still going blank when you boot from the disc then try another monitor.

3. gwaldeck

gwaldeck Thread Starter

Mark
    Thanks for your reply and the ideas ... and you're right! I NEVER should have 'fixed' it. I knew that, but ... well, you know what I mean.
    But, moving on ...
    I tried your suggestion to boot from the XP disk from my CD ... it flashed right by it. It did look at the CD Drive, but didn't boot from there. Instead, it went straight for the normal Windows boot sequence.
    So then, I tried loading an old Win 98 Floppy disk (yes, I still keep a floppy drive that works and this one doubles as a memory card reader) Same result, the system ran right past that too.
    So, I rebooted again and got into the system setup screen by taking a photo of each screen during the 1 second it was lit, I was able to check the system setup sequence. It showed correctly ... boot 1st from the CD, second from the floppy and last, from the internal HD. So that didn't help much.
    Next, I rebooted Windows and eventually got to the SAFE mode screen. I selected 'Safe Mode with Networking'. Using that procedure, I went to the uninstall screen (by unplugging and reinserting the video cable) and uninstalled ASC as their people suggested and rebooted ... same result. The screen blanks after 1 second.
    I have another monitor and will try it, but don't think it will solve the issue.
    I believe this because the computer's behavior, beginning with the inital reboot sequence, is one that indicates that the basic machine parameters have been corrupted. If only Windows had been affected, the boot sequence behavior should logically have remained the same and would only have affected the Windows SW loading process. Would you agree?
    I am not sure where these parameters reside, but believe that it may be in the CMOS. Is this correct?
    If so, how might I fix it? Replace the chip?
    Thanks again -
    Gary

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, so you can get to the Advanced Boot Menu, see if it will got to Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Then follow the same instruction I gave earlier to get into the System Restore.

If this fails then remove the hard drive and try again to boot from the XP disc and tell me what happens. If the screen still vanishes with the hard drive removed then it cannot relate to anything in the operating system.

Try removing the CMOS battery for about ten seconds then replace it. That will reset the Bios to default settings.

5. gwaldeck

gwaldeck Thread Starter

Mark -
    I figured it out.
    I didn't have another monitor to use, but found that my TV set will function that way. Before tackling the Computer's assumed idiosyncracies, I wanted to finish up with your other idea ... ensure that the Monitor works.
    I couldn't believe it. It would display for a second and then zip. But when I plugged it into my TV used as a monitor ... voila'! I have a screen!
    I've now plugged the monitor into another computer ... same behavior. The monitor is kaput.
    Thank you for your ideas. I have learned something about this stuff.
    Best regards,
    Gary

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of the problem and your welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice