1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Screen Flashes when on battery power, also issue with drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zackmann08, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackmann08

zackmann08 Thread Starter

I just completed a fresh install of Windows 7 on my Dell XPS 17. For some reason, when the computer is on battery power and is idle, the screen will flicker. Basically if I am on battery power, the moment I stop typing or using the mouse, the screen will flicker after about a second. Then as soon as I resume using the computer, it will flicker again. It will also flash at random other times... Only when on battery power (so far).

As I mentioned, I just completed a fresh install of windows 7 after reformatting my drive because of virus issues. I did have some issues with getting drivers installed and still have have that are missing (see attached photo). I have not been able to get these drivers to install. One thought I had is that the screen issue may be a result of improperly installed graphics drivers? Just a thought. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

System Info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 6038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 224093 MB, Free - 47988 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K4H3G
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

2. CdnXxRRODxX

CdnXxRRODxX

You should check your power settings at first and change them from what they are as a first step to troubleshooting. For example, if you computer goes to power saver automatically then turn it to high performance temporarily to see if the problem continues or turn it to power saver if it's on high performance (all while it's on battery of course).

If the issue is resolved by those steps then you should check out your drivers, or there is not enough current being provided by your battery for your GPU and you may need a new battery, especially if the issue is occurring when you are on high performance. A local computer store can check if that's the best option for you if you don't want to pay for a new battery right away as it may not be the issue entirely.

In terms of the drivers, you should first make sure your GPU drivers are working properly, following that check your other drivers and ensure that all the ones you are using are working properly and are up-to-date. Use the integrated Dell tool, or check the Dell website for your model for driver updates, ensure you've downloaded all the ones for your respective newly installed OS.

3. zackmann08

zackmann08 Thread Starter

The computer is only a few months old so the battery isn't the issue. Turns out it was an issue with the "Display Power Saving Technology". Seems to be fixed now.

This isn't a NEW OS. I just had to do a fresh install of the existing windows 7.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice